PDA

View Full Version : When your word or a business's word isn't good enough anymore

Bruce L
01-26-2014, 07:21 PM
I called the local TSC store last Tuesday night, saw online that they had a clearance deal on 1/2 hp cast iron convertible jet pump for $191, regular $345. Told the girl I was talking to that I couldn't come in that night as it was 10 minutes until closing, did she want my visa number to hold it? She said no, we will just put the pump in the back with your name on it for whenever you come in to pick it up, just go to the service desk and ask for the pump. My wife and I went in Thursday night, I went to the service desk and asked, after some searching they came out of the back with a totally different pump, different color, only 1 year warranty instead of 2, and somebody's name and phone number on it. They asked if I knew the individual, I said no, they tore his name off of it and put it in my cart. I took one look at the pump, realized it was only $150, it was an offshore knock-off. I went to the desk, explained it wasn't the pump reserved for me, the girl looked less than amused, then looked up the pump on the computer, and explained the pumps have been selling quickly. Computer said that they had one in stock, she did a very quick search and then came back saying she had sold it that morning, since I had not come in. I began to get irritated and louder , saying she had not stated a time limit for coming in, to which she replied they only tag items for the day, so Wednesday my name would have come off. I said that this is not what she told me over the phone, then the manager came by to see what the noise was about. I explained the situation to her, to which she then went looking up in the front of the store and found one that was left with someone else's name on it, again tore the name off and handed it to me. This to me is a very bad business practice, especially when businesses are hurting so badly now. When we bottle a container of syrup, the customer's name is put on it with masking tape, etc for them to pick it up, and under no circumstance do I remove that tape for John Doe who just happens to drive in looking for syrup that day, if I don't have the syrup I will take their name down and bottle it for them when it becomes available

Bucket Head
01-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Modern day customer service can only be graded as "Poor", in my opinion. Nobody does what they say their going to do anymore. Returned calls and e-mails, in a timely manner (or at all), are a thing of the past. Questions asked at a store are answered like your bothering the person. And one of the biggest annoyances is when you stand there waiting to pay and the kid behind the register is standing there texting.

Its a sad situation.

Steve

Greenwich Maple Man
01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
I have had good results with the workers at TSC here in my town. The head manager though is a different story. I bought two 1550 tanks there this year. I had a coupon for 10 percent on one tank. Asked if since I was taking two and they are a bit costly if I could get 10% on both. He gave a rather rude no and then talked about me behind my back to the workers in a meeting. (A friend works there). I'm rather disgusted with him . All the others that work there are good people jus the head manager I don't care for at all. I'm a very steady customer there and feel he needs to practice better customer service even if his answer is no. Not what you say but how you say it !

unc23win
01-26-2014, 10:03 PM
I think it is odd that you can't pay for an item over the phone and pick it up when you can. They always only hold items for 24 hours. I just bought some tanks from my local store I called to see if they had any on Tuesday afternoon and asked the person on the phone if they could hold them until closing on Thursday and they said no problem I also told her there was a good chance I would not be able to get them Thursday and she said that's fine if they are paid for. So on Thursday I went and paid for them and said I would pick them up over the weekend I actually picked them up the following Tuesday I had to make arrangements for someone to get them with trailer. I called on Sunday to say i would be there Tuesday afternoon. The guy was a bit of an idiot when i picked them up he was like are they paid for and I showed him the receipt he said wow 5 days ago I said hey I paid for them and had to find a trailer. The problem with the big tanks is that they only stock a couple and it can take 3-4 weeks to get more so when they said they had some I jumped on them knowing others will be looking for them. So I had a good experience other than the guy being a little bit of an idiot who loaded them for me. The size of the store probably helps. I noticed at my store there was a note about the tanks by the register and got the idea the person working had had plenty of time to stare at it because they knew exactly what I was looking for when I said I came to pick up tanks. I wish I would have had a coupon (however I did tax exempt which helped) kinda dumb that they didn't honor it on 2 for you Greenwich considering it easy to get coupons they probably had some right there.

happy thoughts
01-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Welcome to wally world Bruce. This is the price we pay for dealing with corporations and not small businesses that take pride in serving you and want to keep your business. I hate to burst your bubble, but the person at the fast food place that wishes you a nice day doesn't really care how the rest of your day goes. These days customer service is taught, even scripted and just regurgitated. Just like no one needs any math skills to make change these days, courtesy and integrity are no longer needed when all customers want is the lowest price.

FWIW- contact the head office at TSC. If you look at their "mission and values" page (http://www.tractorsupply.com/content_about_about-us-landing.html#about_us), the treatment you received violates a lot of what they state as their values and mission. Make them stand behind their scrioted message though you may get nothing out of it except making your displeasure known where it might count for something. And if you get no satisfaction, take your business elsewhere.