PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and sugaring..

Gino4280
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Hey everyone, I'm glad I found this site! I'm new to making maple syrup on my own ( I have helped friends in the past) and live in chenango county New York. I'm looking for any advice, help finding right equipment and meeting people who enjoy making maple syrup!
I'm an avid hunter and have access to a large number of maple trees to tap on the land I hunt. And plenty of firewood, I'm interested in a mid to larger size rig somewhere in the 60gph sap boiling rate.. Or more. I will be doing this with my family and the owners of the farm as well so I plan on having help lol.
Looking forward to any help thanks !!

madmapler
01-27-2014, 06:41 AM
I think a 2x8 is about that boiling rate. Relatively small but not the smallest. Specific questions are the easiest to answer. Theres a lot of guys on here with the same interests. Its a great place to learn. Welcome aboard.

Gary R
01-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the site. A good 2X8 might get you there. A 2.5X8 might be a safer bet. Lots of planning involved. Many of us need bigger sugar house and large evaporators. It just keeps growing!

Lethalbowman
01-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the site, I started visiting here last year and find myself frequenting it several times a day just to see whats going on around the country. While sitting in a tree-stand last fall I found myself surveying my property for sugar maples to tap this spring.
Dan W.

Germanmaples
02-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Hey I live in German NY and have a 2.6 x 10 evaporator. Have you found a evaporator yet? I do have a little spare evaporator homemade jobby. I would be happy to show you mine. Have you been to Bakers in Bainbridge or Cooks in Deruyter so sap supplies. I us Cooks I like them. Let me knowhow u make out.

Sugarmaker
02-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Gino4280,
Welcome to the Trader.
Lots of experience on here. Depending on how much help you have and how hooked you get the 2.5 x 8 or 10 would be a good size. Thats going to be expensive to start, but will work for you for many many year.
Regards,
Chris

Germanmaples
02-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Hey there is a evaporator on craigslist.org . I think Syracuse or Utica just search evaporator. I think it is a 3x10. Getting ready to tap looks like a little warm spell comin up.