PDA

View Full Version : Using 30P

SeanD
01-26-2014, 06:04 PM
I tried the 30P for 5/16" gravity main line today for the first time. For my first set up with tubing I used the Leader Max Flow Grip and it was way too stretchy and it even deformed.

While I am extremely happy with the 30P's rigidity, strength and the ability to pull tight, I had a really hard time getting it over the second barb on all my tees. I was using a tubing tool and I had to gun that thing to get the tubing on. My hands were killing me. Is that the way it typically is with 30P or is it because it was 16 degrees out?

Sean

sjdoyon
01-26-2014, 06:38 PM
We use 30P all the time and have never had a problem. It does go on tight. Have not been out in 16 degree weather working with the 30P so that might be the issue.

I tried the 30P for 5/16" gravity main line today for the first time. For my first set up with tubing I used the Leader Max Flow Grip and it was way too stretchy and it even deformed.

While I am extremely happy with the 30P's rigidity, strength and the ability to pull tight, I had a really hard time getting it over the second barb on all my tees. I was using a tubing tool and I had to gun that thing to get the tubing on. My hands were killing me. Is that the way it typically is with 30P or is it because it was 16 degrees out?

Sean

SWEETER CREATIONS
01-26-2014, 09:11 PM
I have used 30 p for years , mainline drops latterals etc love it . Never had any issues with it . We rotate 4 bushes on 3 year drop changes . New latterals and main line every 6 years.

BreezyHill
01-26-2014, 09:18 PM
We used 30P...didn't have any major issues except a bad spot in a roll, but the last ice storm raised havoc with it. Pulled of two saddles and major sags. Cant blame it all on the product. It was quite a bit of ice here. Took down a few good sized branches. I would not recommend working in 16 degrees in the future unless it was to lay out laterals. Dip the line for the saddles in a thermos of hot water. Tomorrow we are to get a heat wave and hit 30 for a high. That will be nice.

Ben

SeanD
01-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I had a feeling it was the cold. I'll tighten them up when things warm up. Thanks.

North!
01-27-2014, 02:32 AM
We use 30P for our laterals and we use a lot of it. I have always been pleased with it until this year. We put in an additional 7,000 taps this season and used 150 rolls of 30P that was left over from last year. This tubing worked great. I needed an additional pallets worth and had it delivered in the late summer. When installing I noticed all the new tubing was out of round and that it's diameter was noticeably smaller. It was also more difficult to insert. I called a Leader rep at their headquarters and he seemed surprised at what I was telling him. He offered to exchange the tubing. Sean, if you got the same material we did I am not surprised you had difficulties, especially if you were using leader fittings which are slightly larger than the CDL fittings I was using.

maple flats
01-27-2014, 04:55 AM
I did notice a little more difficulty inserting fittings this year. I thought it was age related, mine not the tubing. Maybe I'm not getting as old as I thought. I never suspected the tubing.

CharlieVT
01-27-2014, 05:24 AM
I came across a long section of tubing that was smaller in both outer diameter and inner diameter than the rest of the roll.

Using a two handed tool, it was hard to get the tubing started onto the fitting even after using the flairing attachement built into the tool. And once the tubing was started onto the fitting the tool grip would slip rather than push the tubing onto the second barb.

Clearly, there was a manufacturing defect on that section of tubing. I've seen the tubing extrusion process at one of the factories, I suspect that the tubing was stretched somehow while it was still warm, causing both the outer diamater and the inner diameter to become smaller.

If the whole roll had been like that, I'd probably have taken it back as it was a real hassle to install. As it was, I wrestled with it to get a number of laterals up with it, and then the tubing coming off the roll returned to normal.

Interesting to read posts here that others have had similiar problems.

farmall h
01-27-2014, 06:13 PM
I did notice a little more difficulty inserting fittings this year. I thought it was age related, mine not the tubing. Maybe I'm not getting as old as I thought. I never suspected the tubing.
Dave, I read in a recent post that you were barely over 40 years old. :D