PDA

View Full Version : When you guys think its gonna go

tessiersfarm
01-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Just looked at a 30 day forecast and wished I hadn't. Come on March.

maple flats
01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Just wait, it will happen when it should. We might have a old time traditional season. As long as this cold doesn't go too far into March, that could likely set up a very short season.

Maple Ridge
01-27-2014, 11:12 AM
They can't predict a 7 day forcast right. Unless the cold runs into March I shoot for the last weekend in February. I will keep an eye on the weather, and might put in a test tap 15th or 22nd. I will have everything ready for February 22nd, and sit back and wait. I have head that weather like this makes the sap run sweeter, but again will have to wait and see.

Revi
01-27-2014, 12:46 PM
The national weather service is predicting a normal early spring.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

adk1
01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Around Presidents week

spud
01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
In my area the last week of Feb seems to be the real start. If all goes well with my back I should be all tapped in by the 15th-20th of Feb. I think it's going to be a real good season. Time will tell.

Spud

Shawn
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Planning on 16th-17th but who knows and the long range is to far out but looks cold

Cider Hill Maple Farm
01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Hi guys,

We have a bit of a wait yet, ok by me!! Went out to check on some lines last weekend, to my surprise one main was down without any damage and a couple of lats, within an hour everything was top notch. Looking to hit another new bush this weekend with a couple hundred new taps,this one will need some work to get the mains and lats in, I'm guessing a 8 to 10% grade in 200 yards. I built a new 3' x 12' oil fired arch to replace the 18 year old one, a few more sheets of board and I'll be ready to run a test. Oh by the way nice to see ya writing again on the Trader REVI ,one of these days I'm going to pop in and visit.

Best to all!!

Shawn

Revi
01-29-2014, 12:49 PM
I'd love to see you! I'll be playing maple during the week of the 15th to the 23rd, so give me a shout and we can check out the sugarhouse.

I'd love to see your place at the Cider Mill Farm some time too. I'll have a little time around that week, if the sap isn't flowing yet.

We usually tap around the end of February, so I'm predicting February 22nd is when it gets going for Central Maine.

Chicopee Sap Shack
01-29-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm looking at around valentines day ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adk1
01-29-2014, 02:12 PM
thats about when I really start paying attention to the forecast. before that not much

Daves Maple Farm
01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
We target Feb 15 however if its still sub 0 we can wait another week.

bees1st
02-01-2014, 05:17 AM
Regarding long range temp. predictions . I don't hold stock in them . Back in Nov. they were saying Dec. was going to be above average . We all know how that worked out ! Back in the day I used to like to be all set to go March 1st . With mostly check valves now I start to drill holes after looking at a 7 day forecast . And we all know how those work out !

Revi
02-03-2014, 01:19 PM
I would love it if it starts around the 15th of Feb. I have vacation, so I would love to spend it maple sugaring.

miner1
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
I saw some sapsicicles on a Norway maple today...the sun is getting high...

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
We worked in a new orchard this past weekend, by late Sunday afternoon I noticed some sap dripping from the broken branches. The time to tap is creeping up quick, with a lot of small loose ends to finish up, I'm hoping we have a least a couple more weeks before it starts to flow!

Best to all!

Maple Ridge
02-05-2014, 05:23 AM
My wife and I plan on getting all the final prep done this weekend. Not much left to do but it would be nice to have everything ready to go and put in a test tap on the 16th and wait for the season to start.

JuniperHillSugar
02-06-2014, 02:27 PM
The sugarhouse will be cleaned this weekend and we'll get things ready. The days are getting longer, the sun is trying to loosen Old Man Winter's grip on the Maples for sure.
I've been cutting next year's firewood in an area for future sugar production. I'm trying to get the big ash out to let the young maples thrive.
February vacation we will probably tap a few. We are all on buckets so we don't go until it's ready.
Good Luck to all.

adk1
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
The sugarhouse will be cleaned this weekend and we'll get things ready. The days are getting longer, the sun is trying to loosen Old Man Winter's grip on the Maples for sure.
I've been cutting next year's firewood in an area for future sugar production. I'm trying to get the big ash out to let the young maples thrive.
February vacation we will probably tap a few. We are all on buckets so we don't go until it's ready.
Good Luck to all.

Must be another teacher eh?

Revi
02-12-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm a teacher also, and I would love to do maple all February vacation, but it doesn't look good. Maybe by the end of the week it might warm up, but not in the very near future.

Revi
02-12-2014, 11:20 AM
I just looked at the 10 day, and it looks like 36, 36 and 40 for Weds, Thurs and Friday of next week, so that might work...
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=04976

Shawn
02-12-2014, 11:26 AM
tapping out next week 16th and 17th

abbott
02-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Based on the current forecasts, I'm planning on tapping early next week. I checked/fixed all the lines this week and added a few taps. Still have to set up the new releaser and sap tank and get the evaporator rinsed and set up and the vacuum pump set up.

gmcooper
02-15-2014, 07:16 PM
I was back out tapping this afternoon. What a mess, with 2'' of semi soft crust on top of 10-12" snow. Even with snowshoes on I broke thru almost every step. Breaking thru means lifting each shoe up thru the chunks of crust. Awesome workout but not nearly enough trees tapped. The 2 coyote hunters that hunt on the far side of the sugarbush thought they were going to have a heart attack walking in and out today.

Brandon
02-15-2014, 08:20 PM
We put in 500 today, like you said the snow was a pain, more on the way tonight

Ryan August
02-16-2014, 06:36 PM
GOT 86 taps in, ten to go. Would have been much easier prior to this snow, but all good. Even had some in the sun having some sap flow, end of this week, temps look promising

West Sumner Sugar
02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
We put in about 130 yesterday. Not a drip of sap. Cant wait to get the steam rolling!

abbott
02-17-2014, 05:49 PM
I was back out tapping this afternoon. What a mess, with 2'' of semi soft crust on top of 10-12" snow. Even with snowshoes on I broke thru almost every step. Breaking thru means lifting each shoe up thru the chunks of crust. Awesome workout but not nearly enough trees tapped.

My big old wooden snowshoes held me up pretty good. I was out all day and only fell on my face three times!

02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Looks like a good practice run coming up and then a week of cool weather before it really begins.

MapleLady
02-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Revi -- I hear you -- am a teacher too and was hoping to boil sap on February vacation next week! I put on my snowshoes this afternoon and managed to put in 5 taps in my backyard. All 5 taps immediately started that lovely song of drip, drip, drip! It won't be too much longer!

Finest Kind
02-17-2014, 08:35 PM
"Just wait, it will happen when it should,"

This is EXACTLY what I am going to say when my wife says that I need to fill the woodbox…great quote!

RollinsOrchards
02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Up here in the Highlands we are expecting a high in the lower thirties with a lot of wind Thursday, and Freezing rain/rain on Friday. Given that Tuesday morning was close to 15 below zero and there is almost three feet of snow in the woods we don't expect enough of a run to fill the evaporator this week.

Next week looks like back to below zero and highs in the teens.

So . . . we aren't going to tap this week - going to run another 2500' of pipeline and be ready when the weather really breaks.

Maple Ridge
02-20-2014, 03:54 PM
I plan on putting in my tubing this weekend, and the buckets next weekend. I just hope the season comes in with a mild warmup and not hit us with 50 deg days right off the bat.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-21-2014, 03:57 AM
I,m tapping starting tomorrow. The first orchard I need to add another 500' of mainline so I don't have to deal with mud like last year. The second is ready to drill, but the third, well that's a whole different beast, this is a new orchard with all the mains and lats up but I need to cut in the drop-lines. Rough count, there are a little over 200 taps here in this new bush, so one whole day will be at this location. We have eliminated all buckets this year in small areas and gone to one collection point with 5/16" and 55 Gal. drums. Looking at the extended forecast, I'm not seeing a 40 Degree day in sight, not good!

Best to all!!

Smrdc1974
02-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Second week of March looks promising and from then on should be good...... Can't wait.... Second season and can not wait to try my new evaporator.... Last year 2 gallons from three trees.... This year, 12 trees and hope to double production.

abbott
02-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Second week of March looks promising and from then on should be good...... Can't wait.... Second season and can not wait to try my new evaporator.... Last year 2 gallons from three trees.... This year, 12 trees and hope to double production.

Welcome to the Trader! Yup, on your scale it makes sense to hold off until it warms up again. I'm not sure if being tapped already is going to add a lot to my syrup total, but at least I can get the kinks out. Looks like I'll get a decent boil in tomorrow and probably leave some sap to boil a bit on Sunday, too.

Revi
02-22-2014, 08:35 PM
We tapped about half of our trees today. I guess we'll let them clean out the tubing, so we'll be ready for next week. It's looking like it will freeze up this week, and then maybe we'll be okay to start in earnest the week after. We'll see... I sure hope it doesn't stay frozen much longer than that...

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Relocated a tank downhill 300' on the 325 tap orchard to make collection a lot easier and pick up an additional 20 +/- taps. Once all was set, I had to at least put a couple taps in to see what was happening, not much!!!! Then we headed to the new 200 tap orchard to start installing the drops and saddles, another day we'll have this one ready to tap. After trudging through 2 to 3 feet of snow all day in snowshoes, today will be spent in the sugar house taking care of last minute details. I had planned on tapping this weekend but with another cold-snap on it's way, I'm thinking next weekend.

Best to all !!!

bees1st
02-23-2014, 04:51 AM
I had set pretty near 75% of my taps by noon yesterday . Had a decent first run of the season . Approx. 1.5 gallon / tap. Hopefully fire up the rig later today. No where near ready !

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-23-2014, 05:44 AM
I tapped last Monday and Tuesday Collected a decent amount Friday it was running good yesterday I'm gonna gather that this morning and then again at about 3 this afternoon and then light the fire for the first time.

Scott

Maple Ridge
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
We in tubing (117 taps) yesterday and also had a good run. Not enough to start the boil. Lines were running a little today. We have another 98 buckets to hand next weekend. With the freeze coming this week, not much sense to hang buckets yet. I am sure we will be able to boil March 7th.

GotSap?
02-24-2014, 05:31 AM
154 in this weekend with about a dozen on 3/16 tubing.

Revi
02-24-2014, 07:51 AM
We tapped about 150 this weekend, but we will start in earnest next weekend.

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Boiled down about 100 gal yesterday 2% sap would have had a draw off if I had about 15 gal more but no such luck. Drained the pans last night with the cold coming in this week.

Scott

Mike's Sugar Shack
02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Tapped 220 at my house ran into problems with my bender releaser.But i got lucky and picked up 2500 tap realeser and what a difference from the bender.Now i just need to wait for lines to thaw out hopefully it comes soon.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Checked the two test taps on the big orchard, drops were full and solid of frozen sap. Plan on getting the RO room up and running this week after work! Evap. close to being ready, a little polishing and replacing the hoods we will be ready when Mother Nature is.

CPlace
02-24-2014, 07:58 PM
We put in just over 100 taps all on gravity this weekend and were getting decent sap flow. We will be tapping the rest (150 buckets) this weekend.

das fisch
02-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Boiled down about 70 gallons last night, I also drained pans out as the cold is setting in for a bit here

Revi
02-25-2014, 07:45 AM
It's cold, but I guess that means good snowshoeing for tapping this weekend anyway...

Maple Ridge
02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
I was going to hang my buckets this weekend but I think I will wait. I see where someone was concerned that the holes may start to dry up if there isn't any sap flow. I think the 117 tubing taps I have in will be ok but taps for buckets? Not sure. I only have 98 buckrts so I can do them in a day. I just hope when it does come, we have a good season.

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Wait for warmer weather to be on the horizon before any more taps

Finest Kind
02-27-2014, 06:47 PM
10 below zero this morning…looks like about a July 3rd tapping date!!

gotti2033
02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
I am sure glad I have 2 gallons completed. Looks like maybe a week out to start running again.

Revi
02-27-2014, 08:50 PM
It looks like the first weather that's even remotely warm enough is next Thursday and Friday. They are supposed to be in the mid to high thirties. It's too far off to get our hopes up though.

miner1
02-28-2014, 08:04 AM
The forecast does not look promising for the next week. Looks like the second week in March. This hobby really like farming, we are at the mercy of mother nature.

Revi
03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
It looks like the middle of the month before it gets warm enough to run every day. Next Tuesday looks good, but that's a week away. We'll see what happens. They are too far out to predict next week with any accuracy. This weekend is saying only 32 for Saturday, which isn't enough to get trees running.

Maybe the week after next...