PDA

View Full Version : 2x3 homemade evaporator

theguywiththename
01-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I have a 2x3 continuous flow maple pan that i now need to build an evaporator for. I was thinking a barrel evaporator but am having trouble finding such a barel. Anybody got any ideas on where to find a barrel? Or have a better plan?

birdmancf
01-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Northern tool sells barrels and barrel stove kits(legs, doors, stack collar), though you can likely find used barrels cheaper than the $125 they are asking for new, sealed end barrels. Try anyone that manufactures food products, they often hold corn syrup and citrus products. If it is going to be a stove you don't have to be too picky. If you plan on expanding your setup, consider making something, or have it welded for you, from angle iron. There are a great many designs on this sight and you can build it in such a way that you could add other pans, air, insulation and other plusses as you get more involved and seek efficiency. Either way do what you can afford, and try to keep it fun.

eustis22
01-26-2014, 05:35 PM
try craigslist....you can find barrels and oil tanks there

325abn
01-26-2014, 06:36 PM
You could use a block arch.

theguywiththename
01-26-2014, 08:50 PM
the idea was to try to go indoors. after snowmobiling this afternoon, i noticed my neighbor had and oil tank in a snowbank and has agreed to give it to me

optionguru
01-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Oil tank is a good way to go, there are a bunch of great threads on here for oil tank arches. There are a few threads for different style preheaters as well.

BlueberryHill
01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't know where you are at, but I have access to nearly unlimited 55-gal steel drums. We get a few bucks a piece from our recycler, so my boss will let me have them for $3 a piece all day long if you want one. They are all painted, but the paint will burn right off, haha.

eustis22
01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Well, the way the fever works is, a 55-gal drum stove after year 1 will be too small....with an oil tank stove it's your PANS that will be too small after year 1.

optionguru
01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Amen to that Eustis. I spent all that time building my oil tank last year and this year I'm cutting, welding and adding to be able to get 3 1/2 pans instead of 3 pans. Lot of work for an extra couple gallons an hour. But that's what makes the addiction fun, always progressing.