PDA

View Full Version : Deep well submersible

jerzeemaple
01-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Just tested 1/2hp 110 deep well submersible and it pushed 100 ft vertical through 300 feet of Black waterline. Question is, During sap season, can i leave pump in sap collection tank (uninsulated) or do i need to pull it out daily so it does not freeze? Or is it ok to freeze?

markct
01-25-2014, 07:59 PM
It shouldn't freeze, but the bigger concern is it needs to be run with liquid all around it housing to help cool it, if its just stuck with the bottom in sap it can overheat. Many folks mount them horizontal in a piece of 4 inch pvc , I have often pondered using a cheap 4 inch ro vessel for the job too as they are easy to open and reassemble if needed

Machinist67
01-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Some pumps have built in check valve in the discharge of the pump. If it does your sap may freeze in the black water line and may cause a problem If it does not than the line will drain back to the tank when you shut it off.

Spanielslovesappin
01-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Markct is right, make sure the pump is submerged and do not let it freeze! freezing it will deform the impellers and crack the housing. running in air will allow the motor to overheat. As machinist67 mentions almost all of these pumps have an internal check valve in the discharge so you will have to remove the pump from the sap and the sap from the pump as well as the line if it is going to freeze.

jerzeemaple
01-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I am going to put a camlock quick disconnect after discharge, drain back to tank and pull the pump to drain each time i pump. Will the pump still push sap if half submerged? Or does it need to be 100 % submerged?

Machinist67
01-26-2014, 09:21 AM
I would depend on the style of the pump. A deep well pump typically has a motor on the bottom and you will not be able to completely pump out all the sap as the inlet screen is not on the bottom, unless you have a bottom suction pump.

sapman
01-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Bottom suction pumps cost much more, I believe. Also typically smaller diameter, too, I think.

Once the pump is pumping, it will always continue until you get low enough to suck air. If you do suck air, the pump usually won't "prime" again until you get a decent head of liquid above the top of the pump. One fix for this, is to drill a tiny hole under a/the check valve on top of pump. If check is internal, it may need to be removed, and an additional one threaded on top. As far as horizontal mounting, that works fine once the air is purged from the impellers.