PDA

View Full Version : My oil tank evaporator

OCHTO
01-23-2014, 06:29 PM
I got the idea to make an oil tank evaporator from this forum so I thought I would post my pics. Works great! About 8 gals. per hour but I wasn't pushing it. I'm confident it will do 10/gph this year.
I got about $225 in the tank with welding, door and firebrick. The pan I had made for $225. Nice heavey stainless. 8499850085018502

SevenCreeksSap
01-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Nice rig, thats gotta be the biggest batch pan ever. Just curious how you get it out when your at syrup. when the bubbles rise up the sides be ready to throw some water on the fire i guess? I have problems with boil over finishing on the small pan if I'm not standing over it.

OCHTO
01-23-2014, 07:35 PM
I've got a draw off valve on the front. Never had a problem with boil over. Will be adding a sap auto feed this spring.

maplerookie
01-23-2014, 07:41 PM
that is a nice set up I like the drain in the front right hand corner. preheater?

OCHTO
01-23-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking about clamping some quarter inch copper tubing on the smoke stack riser but then I have to get my feed tank up quite high. A work in progress. I'm afraid if I ran tubing through the riser it might boil in the line.

Sam Caruth
01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Looks great. Thats my plan for hopefully 2016. Great work!

SevenCreeksSap
01-24-2014, 08:43 AM
I've got a draw off valve on the front. Never had a problem with boil over. Will be adding a sap auto feed this spring.

Duh!! :emb: the draw off is pretty obvious now that you pointed it out

Sugarmaker
01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Very nice looking evaporator. Have you experienced any scorching on the sides of the pan? It looks like you would have fire up around the sides of the pan? I like how you left the back of the barrel for the stove pipe to come out that is a very nice thought out design. Simple and elegant! Never seen that before. On the thickness of the pan. Not sure what gauge you used but thinner is somewhat better for heat transfer. You did a good job. and have kept the expenses reasonable.
Regards,
Chris

Paperman
01-24-2014, 11:36 AM
I can tell you 3/8 stainless tubing run through the back will boil, vapor lock and burn. Tried it with out set-up like yours. Any issue with airflow through the wood? We seemed to have to run with the door open a bit to maker burn clean. 8510

OCHTO
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Wow our tanks are very simular. Do you have a pre-heater? Yes I did have to run with the door open. Going to add a door for ash clean out and air control. Never had any scorch problems. I picked up some 8 X 12 steel plates along the train tracks and have them on the bottom to flatten it out then I have a grate sitting on them. It raised my fire up so I won't need as much wood. Can't wait to use it and check out my improvements. Cabin fever. The cold has me locked in.

Paperman
01-24-2014, 06:39 PM
I made up a copper parallel flow preheater that sat behind the end of the drum. Can't hold your hand close to the steel but the thing didn't pick up much heat. I used a piece of steel deck grating for fire grate but they melt pretty quick. I cut a opening in the front and back under he grates, still needed the door open to burn clean.