PDA

View Full Version : DYI Roof Jacks

treehugger
01-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Anybody have ideas about homemade roof jacks? They just seem so expensive for what you get. There has to be a good way to make something homemade.

maple flats
01-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Just get some 24 ga or heavier galvinized tin and make a hole in it barely larger than the stack. If you are on the peak that should be good enough. If you are on a side and the roof rises above where the stack goes thru the roof, use a second piece of tin and cut it to fit tight to the stack on the uphill side. Then attach that so it meets the stack up a few inches and spring it downward to direct the water away fromthe stack and then have it continue up higher on the roof. (It will be up on the roof, then a low bow and then up on the stack. Attach it and high temp silicone as needed.
Just be sure the hot stack is not too close to the wood. Either insulate it or use layers of tin. You should have 3' to the nearest wood. each layer of tin, spaced at least 1" cuts the requirement in half. Thus, 1 layer=18", 2 layers=9", 3 layers=4.5" as long as each is spaced 1" on non combustable spacers (pcs of copper tube 1" long etc.

NH Maplemaker
01-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Check out my photobucket, Have pictures of what I did using trash cans!!

treehugger
01-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Check out my photobucket, Have pictures of what I did using trash cans!!

Thanks those are both great ideas.

Big_Eddy
01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Here's the thread where I built mine.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?11613-Quick-and-Dirty-Roof-Jack