PDA

View Full Version : Sap Hydrometer Question. Differnce between 0-35 brix and 0-15 brix?

BlueberryHill
01-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Which is most appropriate for taking sap readings off of the trees? I see a 0-35 brix sap hydromater and a 0-15 brix available for sale. My wild guess is that a 0-35 is for you RO guys and that 0-15 will cover anything (regular sap) straight out of a tree? Am I better off just getting the 0-15 if I don't have RO? Is one larger than the other? Just wondering what the differences/trade-offs are between these 2 devices. Price is not much different. Thanks!!

Super Sapper
01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
The 0 to 15 should be more precise as it operates in a smaller range.

happy thoughts
01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
The 0-35 brix hydrometer is probably not intended for sap but for beer and wine making. That's the standard scale limit for that purpose. The other one sounds more like a true sap hydrometer and I agree with blueberry hill in that it will be the easier to read one though I think either one should give you the same reading.

If you really want precision, be aware that sap hydrometers come in 2 sizes, usually 9 and 12 inches. The short one's scale measures in whole brix, the longer should read in 1/10 brix increments. If you're really after precision go for a long sap hydrometer. But that said, unless you're buying or selling sap where precise measurements affect sap price, the short sap hydrometer should serve your purpose.

Ausable
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Happy thoughts - I agree. Wow! It has been over 40 years since I was making Wine. But if my memory is correct - I would check the sugar in solution prior to fermentation - knowing that a good fermentation will use the sugar up to 14% in solution and no more to make alcohol - any more than 14% sugar in solution in the must only makes a sweet wine and is wasting sugar. When done fermenting You would check the sugar in solution and subtract from the sugar in solution you started with to find the alcohol content of Your wine. If starting at 14% and ending with 4% - Your wine is 10% alcohol or 20 proof. Yep - a winemakers hydrometer. LOL - Kinda got carried away - on memory lane - and probably wrong. -----Mike-----

collinsmapleman2012
01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Bascom's offers a high brix 0-35 hydrometer in their new catalog, for RO users. I have seen a 15 brix hydrometer fall out of a hydrometer cup from highly concentrated sap, and i would imagine that is why they sell it, for those that rely on their RO to remove a lot of water.