PDA

View Full Version : Do you do everything with a 2-handed tool?

Snowy Pass Maple
01-22-2014, 07:01 AM
We have built a version of a 2-handed tubing tool and I'm now wondering if there are others who use the two hand tool for both splicing in tees and inserting and making drop lines vs. buying a separate one hand tool?

I can see the two handed tool easily attaching an inline coupling with or without hook, as well as certain orientations of the L-shaped end rings and tees. But what about a spout, single barb end ring, or tee barb going to the drop line - in this case, there is nothing to sit in the vise grip to help it align. Do you just start it in the tube and push on the edge of the fitting with the edge of the closed vise grip?

I ask because we were debating making insert(s) that could be clamped into the pushing vise grip to better secure fittings in such cases, but I'm not sure such an insert is really necessary, or desirable.

Are there any applications that people just don't use a 2-hand tool for, and why?

-Colin

whalems
01-22-2014, 07:12 AM
I use my homemade 2 handed tool for installing all of my fittings. just close the vice grips on the one side align and push it in. I made a 1 handed tool as well but never seem to use it.

Mike's Sugar Shack
01-22-2014, 07:33 AM
I use my two handed tool for everything i think it works better then my one handed tool.

unc23win
01-22-2014, 07:47 AM
I use mine for everything I have the auto tension and love it. I close one side like whalems said for putting on fittings. For saddles I close one side and let the line stick past grip about 1/4" inch goes right on. I use it to make drops while I watch tv. I had a 1 handed tool and gave it away.

maple flats
01-22-2014, 08:12 AM
I use mine for almost everything. Everything except when walking lines in season fixing leaks, I use the 1 hand tool for that, along with a piece of small rope (1/8-3/16"?) diameter x maybe 6-8' long. If I need to cut a line for repair I tie the rope to the line in a pipe hitch and the other end to a tree or to the other side to be repaired. The pipe hitch can be slid and holds so the 1 handed tool can be used. While the 2 hand is far handier, I travel light when walking lines, I carry the 1 hand tool, the rope, a small asst. of fittings and a roll of white elec. tape for temp. emergency repairs if more attention is needed later in parts or the 2 hand tool.

Snowy Pass Maple
01-22-2014, 08:18 AM
I use mine for everything I have the auto tension and love it. I close one side like whalems said for putting on fittings. For saddles I close one side and let the line stick past grip about 1/4" inch goes right on. I use it to make drops while I watch tv. I had a 1 handed tool and gave it away.

Ah yes - I forgot about saddles - I can see it working fine for anything with a 90-degree fitting on the saddle, or a star type - only one I am not sure how you'd handle is the leader mainline inserts where they come off at an angle.

I haven't seen a tool with auto tension - how exactly does that work and what is the purpose vs. the vise-grip style that seems pretty common?

unc23win
01-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Ah yes - I forgot about saddles - I can see it working fine for anything with a 90-degree fitting on the saddle, or a star type - only one I am not sure how you'd handle is the leader mainline inserts where they come off at an angle.

I haven't seen a tool with auto tension - how exactly does that work and what is the purpose vs. the vise-grip style that seems pretty common?

I have used mine for the Leader fittings you are talking about I am pretty sure. You close one side leave the line out a little and then you might have to get creative about where you use the closed side but it works. Sometimes with the angle fitting you have to re clamp to get them on all the way. With the record saddle you have to hold the closed side down low but if you leave line out it goes on. The auto tension has the adjustment of the vice grip removed and replaced with springs so they auto adjust for line diameter. Mine are the Pruno I didn't have time to try to make one there is a pretty good picture of them in the Lapierre catalog. I got a thick piece of leather and used a piece of aluminum strapping and made a holster for mine to go on my belt need it or not its always there.

CharlieVT
01-22-2014, 08:48 AM
I made a one-handed tool. It worked pretty well, but then I realized the value of a two-handed tool for cutting drops into stretched laterals.
So then I bought a two-handed tool.
I gave the one-handed tool away.
I now use the two-handed tool for everything.
A little experimentation allows for use of the tw0-handed tool for such things as "Y" fittings, saddles, etc. Sometimes I have the "non-working" clamp open, sometimes closed, depending on what seems to work best.

wiam
01-22-2014, 09:30 AM
I use my homemade 2 handed tool for installing all of my fittings. just close the vice grips on the one side align and push it in. I made a 1 handed tool as well but never seem to use it.

Ditto this

markct
01-22-2014, 09:46 AM
My two handed tool does everything, only modification to do is paint it blue so i dont keep losing it in the woods! The red blends in with leaves too easy

GeneralStark
01-22-2014, 02:01 PM
I use a one handed tool for everything, but I'm thinking about investing in a two hand tool for cutting in drops.

The next time any of you are going to give a tool away let me know.:)