PDA

View Full Version : Parts suggestions for new 2x3 pan

SugarHi
01-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Have a friend building me a new 2x3 pan. Need to know the name of a stainless pipe fitting to weld onto the pan that will later allow me to thread on a stainless ball valve. Is that confusing? So the outlet for the warming pot and the draw off outlet. My thought was to buy a 1/2" x 3" stainless nipple and cut it in half. Then have my friend weld the cut end to the pan leaving 1/2" threads exposed. Or is there a specific part that I'm looking for? Thanks

Super Sapper
01-22-2014, 05:18 AM
That should work. I would then go with a 1/2" Tee and a 1/2" X 1/4" reducing bushing across from the welded nipple so you can insert a thermometer into it. Then you can use a nipple and a valve on the end 90 degrees from the opening in the pan. This setup eliminates the need for a thermometer port.

lpakiz
01-22-2014, 07:25 AM
If this is just a batch operation, and not continuous, I question the need for the thermometer. But with the 1/2 nipple system, you can change from elbow and valve to thermometer/valve quite easily.
Actually, I started with a 2x3 and didn't have any port. Just slid the pan off onto the support pipes (connected sawhorses?) rotate 45 degrees and poured it out of one corner, into a kettle on the floor. A practice run with water might be useful.

SeanD
01-22-2014, 07:31 AM
The part you are looking for is called a threaded coupling. Here's a link with a picture of it. The threads are female so they are protected and there is no cutting involved. One inch length will be plenty.

I didn't buy from here, I just did a google search for the image.

I'd recommend going with 3/4" fittings. The few times you will have to open it up all the way, you'll be thankful you can get sap in/out quickly.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00146281/k-G2084503?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw=%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=CNGDlNXwkbwCFdHm7AodMQsAHg

Sean

lpakiz
01-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Sean,
One drawback to using a coupler versus a 1/2 nipple is that you always need a nipple anyway to connect a valve or fitting. With a 1/2 nipple, you are ready to install any fitting. Just need to protect the threads when they are bare.

eustis22
01-22-2014, 12:21 PM
for my 2X3 Phaneuf, the fittings were 3/4" so I ordered 3/4" X 2 inch nipples, with a 3/4" ball valve, to a reducing coupler 3/4" X 1/2" with another 1/2" nipple that I connected to a 1/2" 90 degree elbow for the downspout....all s/s ordered from PlumbingSupply.com and doubled up for the warming pan....it's probably overkill but I prefer the liquid coming straight down from the valve rather than straight out.

SugarHi
01-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys,perfect information that I needed!!!!

eustis22
01-23-2014, 10:26 AM
"Just need to protect the threads when they are bare. "

?

lpakiz
01-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Eustis,
That means IF you use a nipple, with external thread, rather than a coupler, with internal, hard to damage threads, you should install a plastic cap or old iron fitting over the bare male threads to keep them from getting damaged during transit, storage, installation, until you get a final SS fitting installed over them. Even iron water pipes sold in the store have a throw-away plastic cap over the threads.

eustis22
01-24-2014, 06:52 AM
ah..ok...my nipples all screw into something (fittings, valves, reducer) so there is very little exposed thread

what?

no, not THOSE nipples. Sheesh.

Maplemonkey
02-09-2014, 09:15 AM
I just got my first real pan. It has a drain (3/4" male threaded) I want to put a 3/4' stainless ball valve on it with a downspout. Can anybody recommend a source? nothing at any local stores in stainless and I am worried about them being able to stand the heat as they do not say what temp they are rated for.
Thanks!

lpakiz
02-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Maple monkey,
If you are an EBay user, search there. There's hundreds of SS things. Stay focused-don't get sidetracked!