PDA

View Full Version : Moving a wood cook stove

Pete S
01-21-2014, 05:31 PM
We just recently bought a 1933 Home Comfort wood cook stove. Now the task is to get it home. traveling at an average speed of 60mph, it is about an hour away.

I have moved these before BUT the others "dismantled" a bit more than this one.

The 4 support legs are permanently fastened, and not much of the top comes off.

She weighs in fully loaded at about 540 lbs.

My plan involves getting it on a dolly after we take off and out as much as we can,...............then wrap it with cellophane wrap to keep things from opening and rattling.

I HOPE I can get the warmer shelf off for the ride.

From there I "planned" on placing 4x4's under the edge of the metal "box" 9as the bottom is almost about 3" from the floor) thus leaving the cast iron legs free from the load for the bouncy ride home.

Strap'er down to the trailer bed and away we go for the 2+ hour drive home.

Have any of you moved a stove like this and what tricks did you successfully use,...................as well any DO NOT DO THAT'S! :-)

Thanks in advance for all the words of wisdom!

collinsmapleman2012
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
yeah, i've moved a good few stoves. you have the right idea, remove as much weight as possible. take a helper or two, and a good sturdy dolly. the bigger the wheels on the dolly, the better. also, plan your route and adjust the stove accordingly so you dont have to move it more than once.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
01-21-2014, 06:32 PM
I suggest to bring in a few strong planks. They help to roll or slide it on. I have recently been moving impossibly heavy items with limited resources. I have gone Egyptian and have been using rollers. Build a small frame with your 4*4's and then use dolly or rollers to move it. Takes a little less muscle. I bought some PT fence posts at Tractor Supply. And I have some solid 2" steel pipe. They work great. If you go that route you will need drills and fasteners to build a frame under it. I have a stove like that and I don't envy your move.
Good luck
Ben