PDA

View Full Version : Head tank float

collinsmapleman2012
01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
SO, I have been thinking how to design a float to keep my head tank full, because it and the storage tanks will be kept behind the sugarhouse. I am going to position the storage tanks on top of a hill, and pipe them down to the top of my head tank. my question is- what kind of float would work to keep the sap from flooding my head tank? the storage tanks will have approx. 900 gallons, and the pipe only drops a foot or two in elevation. I was thinking about using a ball and cage, like in a releaser, but I don't think that it would be strong enough. all of the tanks used are the cage style, and I will have a shutoff plumbed into the sugarhouse in case of failure. Any ideas?

grimmreaper
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
900 gallons is no storage than you may need for 30 taps ???????

collinsmapleman2012
01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
sorry about that, forgot to mention that I am looking at at least a thousand tap expansion. that should fill 900 gallons.

maple flats
01-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Hook up a stock tank float valve.

jcb
01-23-2014, 03:37 AM
I had a set up similar to this I used a solenoid valve with a float switch the only problem I had was the feed line from outside tank freezing

BreezyHill
01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
My concern would be freezing the tiny orifice of a stock tank valve. They are designed to be able to stop a 70 psi flow of water with their small float providing all the pressure. Typical id is only 1/4" on a 3/4" pipe fitting.

I would be more inclined to use a solenoid valve with a copper by pass system. The bypass could be warmed easily and quickly in the event of a valve freezing and not put you in a bind.

Imagine a cold snap like this after a good two day run. Seems like a nightmare waiting.

The plastic toilet valves with the ball on a chain have a larger orifice and can have chain spliced in to. We sell a Gallagher float that is full 5/8 on a 3/4 pipe fit. They set in the tank and work off of a float but freezing will still be an issue; due to the design is a lever forcing a seat against the flow opening. Ice could force open the seat and cause an flood.

I would suggest: sight tube for the head tank on the line after entering the sugar house. Mark the point that a cage could safely refill the head tank and manually open the cage tank. This way the cage can drain all at one time and be less likely to have freeze issues. This could be changed to elec valve in the future if wanted

Good Luck!