PDA

View Full Version : Tapping ice storm damaged trees?

randomseeker
01-21-2014, 04:06 AM
At what point should I consider not tapping a tree that has ice storm damage? Is there a percentage of the crown below which I should rest the tree? If a good sized maple loses one major branch, will it endure the stress of tapping? Any rules of thumb anyone can offer? Thanks in advance.

68bird
01-21-2014, 11:24 AM
This would be great for Dr Tim to answer. I too am curious, even if a tree looses something above ground, I would think the root system would hold as much sap as before! this being the case it would be a relief on the tree when tapped once it has healed its wounds.

DrTimPerkins
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
At what point should I consider not tapping a tree that has ice storm damage? Is there a percentage of the crown below which I should rest the tree? If a good sized maple loses one major branch, will it endure the stress of tapping? Any rules of thumb anyone can offer? Thanks in advance.

The general rule is that if a tree lost > 75% of its crown, consider not tapping it for a year or two. After the 1998 ice storm, we saw that even trees that had suffered almost a total loss of their crown (they looked like telephone poles) survived reasonably well, and recovered in terms of growth over a period of time.

Of course the alternative thinking is that if a tree lost that much crown it is going to die anyhow, so get whatever sap out of it you can before that time. Again, based upon the 1998 ice storm, it takes an awful lot to kill trees. If the main stem broke off, then it will likely die or be of poor vigor for a while. However if there is still a good stem up to the top of the tree, it will likely refoliate and do OK. Much depends upon other interacting stresses though (insects, drought, soil nutrition, etc.), and how good the next couple of growing seasons are.

Bottom line....you're probably OK tapping them, but if you're concerned, either lighten up on the tapping intensity somewhat, and/or don't tap the trees with > 75% crown loss for a few years.

68bird
01-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks Dr. Tim!