PDA

View Full Version : Maple sap storage in CT

khuberpt
01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
So last year i only tapped 7-9 trees and stored the sap in jugs/pails buried in the snow in my back yard. it all worked out well. This year i am expanding to 53 taps and am concerned about storage. i was thinking about the 275 gallon storage containers but am concerned with possible warm days. i will gather during the week and cook friday-sunday. i have read that you can put frozen sap into the large 275 gallon container and will be fine. i also understand that it should stay around 38 degrees. i also thought about a chest freezer, gathering during the week and putting into freezer. however, with 53 taps i will fill the freezer pretty quickly. thanks for any helpful info.

The dairy farmer
01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
The 275 gallon tank should be fine as long as u boil when it gets close to being full , and if you have snow you can always pile it around the tank to help keep it cool ? how often will u be boiling ??

khuberpt
01-20-2014, 08:23 PM
every weekend. are you in ct and if so when do you tap? thanks. also what is best way to clean out the tank?

harrison6jd
01-20-2014, 08:30 PM
i did the same in a 275 a couple of years ago. from experience i will tell you to keep the container out of the sun, wrap it with insulation to keep the cold in, and bury it with snow like you did with the smaller containers. if you have time, remove the insulation at night when the temps drop and put it back on in the morning. a PIA but keeps it cool and in better condition for boiling.

khuberpt
01-21-2014, 06:26 AM
thanks for the help. the back side where i will store it is fully shaded and i will wrap it well. it may be a pain but for the rewards of a good syrup it is worth it.

valleyman
01-23-2014, 03:06 PM
The back corner of my patio barely gets sun so I pile as much snow as possible there during the season. Then I burry 2 50-55gal plastic barrels in the snow. In addition to that I have an 8x10 freezer blanket (Restaurant Depot) over the whole snow pile. Works very well up until the last week of the seasons past when the weather warms. Quite the snow pile I had last year with that 36" snowfall in February!

markct
01-23-2014, 04:55 PM
a dairy tank would be best as its easy to keep clean and is insulated so keeps sap cold.

DaveB
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
I have a stainless round bottom tank that I keep in an area surrounded by evergreens. I also start piling up snow around it in December so I have a good supply. Like others have said, the key is to keep it out of the sun and keep it cool. I boil all my sap by the end of Sunday and I'll rinse out the tank too before starting to fill it up again the next day.

khuberpt
01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks. I actually thought of taking 4 pallets and making a box. place 60 gallon jug in center and pack box with snow. this will be behind my woodshed with no sun on it. If the temp does rise i can put frozen sap blocks into it. what do you think? thanks again