PDA

View Full Version : equitable sugarbush partnership

PerryFamily
01-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Currently I buy sap from a buddy. Said buddy has permission to tap a pretty substantial bush, 1500 +/- hopefully. Said buddy asked if I wanted to go in on it with him, which I want to do. Assuming all up front expenses were split in half, what would be a fair way to handle the compensation of the sap? I would get all of the sap and process it. I currently pay by the gallon based on sugar and bascoms pricing.
I am curious how other people would handle this situation?
Thanks in advance

sugarman3
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
If everything is 50-50,pay him the going price of the sap, minus 50% of the price.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-20-2014, 07:19 PM
If everything is 50-50,pay him the going price of the sap, minus 50% of the price.
everything in the new sugar bush
that seems fair

PerryFamily
01-20-2014, 08:06 PM
I guess I should also find out his long term goal: 100% ownership over time or always stay 50/50

jmayerl
01-20-2014, 09:15 PM
WRITE IT DOWN! What ever you do get it in writing. I had the exact scenerio 2 years ago. Said buddy couldn't come up with his half of the money to tap all the bush. I couldn't handle all of the sap last year so said buddy sold it to someone else, we were supposed to split it since I collected more than half of it each day. Turns out said buddy had the sap check sent to him and I have never seen my portion of it or my supplies that he never paid for. Weird since I also paid the lease that all the sudden the bush isn't available anymore.

GeneralStark
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
WRITE IT DOWN! What ever you do get it in writing. I had the exact scenerio 2 years ago. Said buddy couldn't come up with his half of the money to tap all the bush. I couldn't handle all of the sap last year so said buddy sold it to someone else, we were supposed to split it since I collected more than half of it each day. Turns out said buddy had the sap check sent to him and I have never seen my portion of it or my supplies that he never paid for. Weird since I also paid the lease that all the sudden the bush isn't available anymore.

I second that. Perspectives change so write up a contract though that can only protect you so much. If it is not your land you have no control over what can happen. I had an arrangement with some "friends" and now I will be moving that tubing system somewhere else as their perspectives changed.

unc23win
01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
I would let him have it with all the expenses and just boil the sap for half the syrup or whatever you want to charge. Then go looking for more of your own. Then its not a partnership its business for you. If by chance he wants to go on his own later fine. If he throws in the towel then maybe you can get the lease. I had a partnership similar the problem was they weren't nearly as ambitious as they thought when push came to shove I ended up investing more money and way more time. Luckily when I ended it all of the tubing was still on my land so basically they lost the work horse (me) and I lost the headache (them).

BreezyHill
01-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately ere are two things that end friendships....Money & Women.

The best way to retain the bond is to have an agreement in writing. The agreement must have a separation or termination clause...as all good things come to an end.
I would also include a value of labor for work in the bush. That way if there is an event that limits one partners time in the bush the other can be compensated for the extra time.
Write down each persons responsibilities to the partnership and the compensation for said completion of commitment.
If you both are paying on the lease then both names should be on the lease.
I would also include tapping time lines and tap numbers. Nothing worse than planning on 1500 taps and only having 1000 and nobody there to help tap that bush.

Good Luck!

SevenCreeksSap
01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
IF IT WERE ME, and this is strictly my opinion due to past experiences, I would never go into business again with either a good friend or a relative. if you want to keep a friend in the long run or a relatively good relative. In the situation described the best I could do would be to encourage them to tap it and offer to buy the sap at going rates if you can boil and sell it. It was a couple of hard lessons but I couldn't agree more with Breezy Hill about the money and women. Mostly money. even writing it down may save you something legally but friendship may be worth more than that. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

PerryFamily
01-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the responses! I agree with everything above, definitely a good way to ruin a friendship. All of my other leases are all legal beagles for 10 yrs so this would need to be the same for sure.

I think in my next life, I would like to own the land and hAve it all run to me !!

jimsudz
01-23-2014, 06:02 PM
I was taught at a young age That their is only one ship that won't float a PARTNERSHIP