PDA

View Full Version : used vertical releaser

tcross
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
hi, I have acquired a large LaPierre electric vertical releaser. I'd say it's about 4' tall! it has a small crack on the glass on the top of the releaser that I believe should be an easy fix! my question is how much is a unit like that worth being used? I know a picture or a model # would help, but I don't currently have one. I can get one... just gotta take the picture/walk out to the barn! it has 4-5 inlet ports on the top 1/3rd of the tube and the dump at the bottom! it was used 2 years ago... the guy has given up sugaring! I do not have the capacity for it, so I'm thinking of selling it or modifying it, if the sale value is not worth my while! anybody have any clue as to it's value?

tcross
01-22-2014, 07:47 AM
8478 really bad lighting.. or no lighting at all actually. but this is it!

01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
That is a electric releaser it is probably worth a couple hundred without a pump maybe less if it has a pump depending on what kind it could be worth 4-500 if you want to try to sell it I would try to sell it on ebay.

maple flats
01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
It sure looks like a big unit, should be good for several thousand taps. I'm not sure about repairing the top, since a good vacuum will have a vac level in the mid to upper 20's, there is a huge force. I might suggest getting a new top. Then since the size is much bigger than you could need, get an estimate from others (I have no idea) on the value and sell it. Use the money to buy a smaller one and a vacuum pump to meet yore needs for the next few years as you grow. Good luck.
Do you have any idea how many taps the previous owner had on it? That may help.

tcross
01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
the previous owner had roughly 2000 on it. probably a few more then that! he had a little bit of electrical tape on the cover and he was able to pull 24-25" without any issues!

wiam
01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I bought a unit like that about 5 years ago from a maple dealer for $100.

tcross
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
$100? you must have gotten one hell of a deal! in working condition, it has to be worth quite a bit more then $100 more like 1/2 the price of new! especially figuring a new one now that would handle thousands of taps are running over a grand! but I guess used equipment like this is probably worth what the owner or the buyer values it at? if it's only worth $100 i'll keep it and try to modify it for my liking! I'm thinking I'd get rid of it for $500-$600! but seriously... I'm no expert!

wiam
01-23-2014, 07:10 AM
He had 4 or 5. Could not move them. Looked just like yours with a good switch. Hold on when they price you a stainless Goulds 3/4 hp.

PARKER MAPLE
01-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Hold on is right, that pump is the expense of that rig. Lol

maple2
01-23-2014, 07:46 AM
probably make a good moisture trap or booster tank.

tcross
01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
ok! you guys have more knowledge then I do! how does the electric/switch part work. I have never worked with an electric releaser. does the switch activate the pump after it's done dumping or something like that?? could the switch be taken off and the releaser would be come mechanical?

tcross
01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
on another note! anyone ever see a pump releaser set up like this? the releaser is pretty clean on the inside... but the outside has had some oil spill onto it! 8484

GeneralStark
01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
In terms of the electric releaser, that style uses an external pump to evacuate the chamber when it fills. The float valve activates the switch to turn on the pump and then turn it off when the level drops. As others have said, the expensive part is the pump that you use to remove sap from the chamber as it has to be able to handle pumping under vacuum. Typically above 24" vac. this style has issues with the seals in the pump failing. Lots of info. on that here. The trend with electric releasers now is using a high head submersible pump inside the chamber.

In terms of the vacuum pump, others likely know more but the tank is likely a vacuum tank, not a releaser, and the oil is lubricating oil for the pump.

tcross
01-23-2014, 09:58 AM
i'll do some searching on the electric releaser! i do have the recirculating pump and parts to go with it! I just have no need for such a large releaser! looking to see if i can sell it and get a hobby mechanical one! the tank below the pump has a flapper on one end... I believe the wheel end of the pump... that's why I was thinking it was a releaser of some sort! it has a MMM sticker on the end. I believe it says Mechanical Milk Machine? guess I will have to look inside it closer and see if there's a float of some sort? it needs a good cleaning, but I was told it worked just fine?!

wiam
01-23-2014, 10:46 AM
That tank would be a vacuum reservoir/moisture trap. The flap would let moisture escape when the pump is off. If you have a good pump to go with the first picture it would be worth well over my $100. I paid over $800 for my pump.

tcross
01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
well, that all makes total sense now! when the guy brought me up to his shack he just said, "here it is, take what you want" and took off... I didn't get to see it all in action! but that pump and reservoir were connected to the tall releaser and a recirculating pump was attached to the end/bottom/dump station on the releaser. I have them all, I just never really understood how it all worked! Waim, Thanks a ton for the lesson!!! much appreciated ! now I can sort of get a grasp on the value of the unit! probably more valuable as a package type thing?

thanks again! guess I have some cleaning and testing to do to make sure it all works. the guy said it was all functional as he used it two years ago! Being a solo operator of a multi thousand tap sugaring operation at 65 years old and getting reconstructive knee surgery in a few months and needing a total line replacement in his bush has him quitting the business!! it really is too bad, but good for me I suppose!

01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Ya that is definitely a vacuum pump with a balance tank and if you could get a picture of the pump that hooks up to the releaser we could give you a more accurate value the thing about electric releasers is the pump is the expensive part I could build a custom releaser for very cheap but the pump is what is going to cost and you need to have access to electricity which many do not. With a stainless steel gould pump I would bet you could get maybe 500 for it I have seen brand new ss gould well pumps go for 2-300 on ebay you just need to keep your eyes open.

tcross
01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
here's the two tags on the pump that takes the sap out of the releaser ... 851185128513
here's the tags on the sap pump and motor... 85148515

01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Ya that sap pump is not worth vey much if anything due to being the cast iron and how bad of shape it is in you can buy a rebuilt cast iron gould for like 150 so I would still think the releaser is worth a hundred or 2.

tcross
01-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Alright, thanks... At least I haven't ripped anyone off without knowing it!