PDA

View Full Version : Pan Gasket Cement

Pibster
01-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Just wondering what works best for sticking the gasket to the arch? I tried the rope gasket cement last year. The cement turned white and crumbled after a few fires. Anyone try high heat silicone?

G&D MapleSurgaring
01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I got the high heat silicone to use soon so I can't tell you if it works or not yet.

Brad W Wi
01-20-2014, 12:29 PM
I just lay the gasket down on the arch and set the pans on it. The weight alone is enough till the season is over.

adk1
01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Yeah I never cement the rail gasket in place as all. However if you take your pans off to clean then the gasket might come off with your pan. I just rinse in place. I have been so spidering the woven gasket.

maple flats
01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I just use the woven gasket with no cement.

Pibster
01-20-2014, 01:35 PM
I would normally clean my pans in place except that my new pan has drop flues, so I will have to remove the pan occasionally to clean. I think it would be easier if the gasket was stuck in place.

adk1
01-20-2014, 04:51 PM
I just use the woven gasket with no cement.flats, how do you like the woven gasket over the standard? Also why is the woven only 1/4" when the other comes in thicker dimensions?

stoweski
01-20-2014, 05:15 PM
I've been going back and forth on the woven vs. standard/fiber. This year I plan on using standard because it is thicker and will seal all air gaps. My front pan wasn't sitting perfectly flat on the arch this year and there were air gaps with the woven... even though it was level. Trying standard and may find I have to replace it each year from tearing it apart after the season is over... just like the blanket between the pans.

adk1
01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah that is why I have always gone with the thicker stuff. I wanna say 1/4" maybe? I will tell you though that when you get a little syrup dripping on the outside of your pan that it will hit the gasket and they will stick together. Almost impossible to keep the ceramic gasket in tact when taking your pans off

lpakiz
01-20-2014, 06:09 PM
I used the orange 700? Degree stuff. Not a sign of it left at the end of the season. It did hold the gasket in place long enough to get the pan set, tho. Like said above, burnt syrup holds much better. This was on the woven web style gasket.

bill m
01-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I use the ceramic gasket with no cement and replace it every year. If you install the 2 inch wide gasket even with the outside of the pans some of it will obstruct the far outsides of the pans and reduce the boil. If you install it even with the inside rail a lot of gasket is outside the pans doing nothing. What I do is cut the gasket in half lengthwise with a pair of scissors. That way a roll lasts twice as long.