PDA

View Full Version : welding tips

asknupp
01-20-2014, 07:56 AM
So far a couple of guys that I've talked to have had concerns about welding the seperating runs inside of the pans. I've shown them pics and there afraid or can't guarantee that the pans won't want to buckle due to heat. Need some assurance from a few sugar in welders. Here in my parts of Ohio people are surprised this is still done.

nymapleguy607
01-20-2014, 08:14 AM
If you weld the full seam on the pan dividers the bottom will warp. I have a leader syrup pan that came brand new from the factory warped. They say that doesnt make a difference, but I cant say for sure.

Big_Eddy
01-20-2014, 08:28 AM
asknupp
I'm assuming you are asking about welding in dividers the width or length of a flat pan. 304 Stainless, about 20 gauge.

Typical process is to bend a 1/2" wide flange on the lower edge of the divider, and spot weld it every inch or so. The spot welds hold the flange tight to the bottom and any gaps quickly seal themselves with sugar. The spot welds put little heat into the pan and warpage is minimal.

Some folks believe that you need a continuous weld. If you weld a bead the length of the divider as 1 long continuous weld - you are guaranteed warpage.
The correct way to weld a continuous bead would be to stitch weld. Weld 1", move foward 6", weld 1", etc. to the end, then back to the start, welding 1" back towards the last stitch, over and over.

Either way - TIG is the best, and you need a welder experienced with thin stainless.

psparr
01-20-2014, 09:01 AM
You could float the pan in water and weld it that way. Just a thought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

asknupp
01-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Thank you fellas. Everyone has been very helpful since I joined this site. Thank you.

regor0
02-23-2014, 01:09 PM
If you weld it use heat sinks and more importantly have argon on both sides of the stainless. The side your welding and the back side,otherwise you'll have some ugly slag on the back side of the weld.:o