PDA

View Full Version : Grading kit??? old style.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Where can I get the old style grading kit for 2014. I don't want to change over tot the international standards yet. leader and bascoms don't have them.....

regor0
01-20-2014, 01:03 AM
thunderbaymaplesupply.com has them. Posen MI. (989) 766-2593

maplwrks
01-20-2014, 12:15 PM
If you can't find one on a store shelf, you might be out of luck. I know that VMSMA makes the grade kits, and they aren't making anything but the new kits. Most all states have confirmed that they will be using the new kits next year.

maple flats
01-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Some dealers had current stock in the old grading system at the Verona Maple Conference. I don't know about your state, but in NY we must use the old system for 2014, and MUST use the new std effective 1/1/15. We don't have an option. I was going to use the new this year but was told I can't until after 1/1/15.

maplwrks
01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Be prepared when selling syrup to packers this year, Most of the packers in the east have switched to the new grades

wiam
01-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Be prepared when selling syrup to packers this year, Most of the packers in the east have switched to the new grades

It says in Bascom's new catolog they are buying on old grades this spring. Maple Grove's buyer was at the Caledonia county annual meeting Thursday night and he said they and most he has heard about are buying on old grades.

PerryFamily
01-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Picked up a new grading kit and there three samples, light , me and dark. I was under the assumption there was now 4 grades light, med, dark and very dark? Am I missing something here? Or just dumb?

GeneralStark
01-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Picked up a new grading kit and there three samples, light , me and dark. I was under the assumption there was now 4 grades light, med, dark and very dark? Am I missing something here? Or just dumb?

This is likely because any syrup darker than "dark" is "very dark/strong" and can be retailed as such as long as it has no "off flavors". No point in having a sample that is black.

PerryFamily
01-20-2014, 05:46 PM
General, that makes sense. And thanks for confirming I am dumb!!:lol:

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Where can I get the old style grading kit for 2014. I don't want to change over tot the international standards yet. leader and bascoms don't have them.....
I have been told you can use a grade kit for two years as long as its been covered, so if that holds true if you have a 13 kit it will be good for this year

tuckermtn
01-26-2014, 12:28 PM
I have a temporary grade kit from last year but I really am lukewarm about using it again. In every situation I was in this past year where I sold bulk to a packer that was using a permanent grade set (typically a Lovibond comparitor) I had graded my syrup one grade darker than what the packer did. Don't get me wrong - I would rather have it this way when it comes to selling bulk, but I wish there was a grade set that I could trust...or do I just get in the habit of if a sample is on the line, I go UP with the grade vs. going DOWN with the grade? Would just be nice to know if what I really have for inventory is what I really have, vs. guessing what the grade really is.

If I wanted to buy a lovibond this year with the old standards can I just buy a new disk next year if NH adopts the new guidelines? I don't think this is in the cards this year b/c of the cost of a Lovibond, but is that the only way to get a reliable grade set for this year with the old grades?

maplehillbros7179
01-26-2014, 12:55 PM
We got the new bascoms catalog and the old style is in there. The new one is just unnecessary robust taste ? Dark medium light grade a and b that's all you need!

tuckermtn
01-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I was at Bascoms on Friday - they only have the new, Vermont grading kits in the showroom.

wiam
01-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Any that are not "new" grades are old stock from last year.

brookledge
01-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Bascom's told me that they were going to be purchasing all of there bulk syrup this year using the old grade standards. Vermont and Maine were going with the new grades (maybe someone else not sure) If some one from the states using the new grades sells to Bascom they will just grade it to the old standards.
One problem I feel is that the USDA takes too long to do anything and some states use their guidelines. It would have been nice if every state went at the same time but that would have been way to smart. So now some consumers will probably get even more confused.
One suggestion I have is that if you have a temporary kit and you find someone who has a permanent kit you can put your test container into the permanent one and see if yours has darkened. A lot matters on how well the test kit is kept out of the light. So you may find that your old kit is still fine
Keith