PDA

View Full Version : 275 Gallon Oil Tank Evaporator System

vitos_sugar_shack
01-19-2014, 06:35 PM
So I am looking to increase the efficiency of my system since the past couple years it has been about as inefficient as possible by just boiling in a pot on an open fire. It is just a backyard hobby at this point with increasing enthusiasm but I only have about 20 trees tapped so I don't need anything too crazy but would like to leave room for expansion for the future.

So far I am in the process of buying a 275 gallon old oil tank and I was going to buy one of those Vogelzang door kits. I would like to do something similar to what the user indiana jones has done but not quite as extensive. I was thinking of fabricating a 2' x 4' stainless steel pan with 2 dividers and then putting a temperature guage and a valve be able to draw almost finished sap from. Because I have never been around anyone that has a legitimate boiling pan, I was wondering if you add sap from the opposite area where the valve is not located does it automatically force the higher consistancy syrup in the other direction?

Another question I had is it detrimental to have fire bricks within to keep the heat in better? If anyone else has a similar setup, how do you remove built up ash? Any input is greatly appreciated.

bowhunter
01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Add sap to the opposite end as the draw off valve. The fresh sap will push the syrup towards the draw off valve. Yes, firebricks will help tremendously. I don't have a similar set up, but you would remove the cold ashes before you start the fire for the day.

redneck mapler
01-19-2014, 07:06 PM
I used one of these set ups for two years. worked well. Go on youtube an type in evaporators. There is a guy on there who has a real nice video on how he made his. I did mine similar but did do some of my own ideas. The first year I didn't use the fire brick, they definetly help, plus you cant stand very close to stove with out them. Good luck

herman
01-20-2014, 12:09 AM
I started with a 275 oil tank and a 2x4 flat pan and got between 7 and 9 g/h. The next year I cut the top off of my first oil tank and bolted it to a second tank and off set it. I allso added a 2x2 pan, insulation and brick, then I added 2 blowers off the furnace the small blowers that blow the fuel oil into the chamber one blowing under the grates and one blowing horisonal arossed the grates. I went to 23 g/h. Yes I would insulate and brick the brick saves the insulation and everything I added saves the oil tank. It still is dangerous to touch, but you can brush it and no danger. with the blowers I never emptied my ash pan all season, made 16 gallon 2013

vitos_sugar_shack
01-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the information, looks like I'm going to use firebrick. I knew I saved the firebrick from an old outside chimney I took down a while back for a reason! Its a little thicker than what I see other people using on the forums but I am sure it will work just fine. As far as insulation goes, I have seen people spray some sort of foam on the interior wall of the old tank. Is this the insulation and if so what is the name of the product generally used.

Thanks for the suggestion of the video on youtube redneck mapler. It really help clear up some confusion, I was just wondering what the difference between someone using an angled transition versus a vertical transition from the firebox to the drop flue section. I am assuming the angled transition will provide a more streamlined flow of the heat.

Etown Maple Syrup
01-20-2014, 10:07 AM
I use an oil tank evaporator. I brick, then un brick, every season (I do not use cement or ceramic board or any insulation) for easier transport and storage of the evaporator. I use 4 deep steam table pans not a fancy syrup pan (although I could but choose not-it's a fun hobby). The pan at the back is used for cold sap and I scoop sap forward as it thickens and finish on a turkey fryer. I sweep out ashes before each fire with a brush and a dust pan.

Jerome
01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
I also use an oil tank here is a link to photos of it.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7541977_B22gb8

Sugarmaker
01-23-2014, 08:54 AM
I also use an oil tank here is a link to photos of it.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7541977_B22gb8

Wow that is a nice set up on a oil tank. You have put a lot of work into that.
Regards,
Chris

Sugarmaker
01-23-2014, 08:56 AM
I use an oil tank evaporator. I brick, then un brick, every season (I do not use cement or ceramic board or any insulation) for easier transport and storage of the evaporator. I use 4 deep steam table pans not a fancy syrup pan (although I could but choose not-it's a fun hobby). The pan at the back is used for cold sap and I scoop sap forward as it thickens and finish on a turkey fryer. I sweep out ashes before each fire with a brush and a dust pan.

I like the way you have sealed the bottom of the pans to kep the fire under them not coming up the sides to minimize scorching. Very nice set up! Good idea using the existing chimney too:)
Regards,
Chris