PDA

View Full Version : Just tasted my first Syrup

woodguyrob
01-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Greetings CT~ Finally got a few taps this year from Santa, tapped 3 trees about a week ago and pulled almost 4 gallons. Boiled today and enjoyed for the first time home made syrup. I'm amazed at the flavor and totally stoked to catch the real run this year. Ordering a few more taps tonight. ...I'm IN.

lakeview maple
01-19-2014, 04:25 PM
So sorry,its a life changing addiction. It never ends, endless days of boiling and planning for the next season. Days and days spent at the sugarhouse with friends and family ,awesome memories built each and every time. Great way to spend time with your kids and grandkids ,teaching them the value of hard work and great reward .I wouldn't trade it for anything, welcome to the family, Al@ Lakeview Maple

jmayerl
01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Might as well tell your significant other right now that in 4 years you will have a sugar shack, 1000 taps, and $20,000 in equipment.......

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-19-2014, 06:26 PM
So sorry,its a life changing addiction. It never ends, endless days of boiling and planning for the next season. Days and days spent at the sugarhouse with friends and family ,awesome memories built each and every time. Great way to spend time with your kids and grandkids ,teaching them the value of hard work and great reward .I wouldn't trade it for anything, welcome to the family, Al@ Lakeview Maple
you for got the part about enjoying boiling sodas with friends and family :)

woodguyrob
01-19-2014, 06:39 PM
My wife already sees the gleam in my eye. Luckily she LOVES syrup and is all for it. Sugaring will fill the gap before I start working the bees in spring.

Ausable
01-19-2014, 07:09 PM
It is a real strange thing to do as a Hobby too. We always save enough for ourselves and give the rest to Family and a few friends. One year I had about 15 gallons on hand come Maple time and I got practical. Why gather and Boil? I have plenty of Maple Syrup on hand ---- So I didn't. It was one of the most miserable years of my life - like I lost a best friend or a good dog or both. The heck with being practical - I gather and boil every year - no matter how much I might have - Because it has become part of my very being. I'm now 73 and have no plans to stop - till I'm called to another place. Also - I enjoy the look on the face of my Great Grandchildren - when they taste it for the very first time. -----Mike-----

Lethalbowman
01-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Last year was my 1st ever attempt at making maple syrup. My dad who has been doing it for the last couple of years gave me 4 taps to get started with. Before the season was over with I had 20 trees tapped and finished 1 gallon of syrup. I am working on a block arch for this year with a 24" X 30" pan. I hope to at least double my productivity this year. Just received my order from Sugarbush supplies on Friday. I decided to get some 50ml sampler bottles for everyone that just wanted to try a taste. I think I will ask for a $3.00 donation to help cover my costs.84328433

sugarridge48
01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Has anyone started tapping Ct

khuberpt
01-20-2014, 07:25 PM
a bit early to be tapping. sounds like you should wait another week or so.

sugarridge48
01-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Last we was tempting but upcoming weeks look like deep freeze

woodguyrob
01-21-2014, 11:24 AM
I tapped 3 trees last week and got about 3 gals or so. Nothing running now, cold temps are back.