PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a new small setuo

poulin
01-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I am new in this wonderful maple syrup world !

I have an old 2X7 evaporator. The pans seems obsolete but the arch and fire are correct.

I plan to tap 30 - 50 trees in the next 2-3 years. After that we'll see.

I am thinking about buying a 2x4 flat continuous flow new pan and fits it on my evaporator. Obviously would install metal sheets to fill the empty room.

Would it be a good setup ? Better idea ?

Thanks

Ausable
01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
poulin - It is hard to help without a picture or two. That said - I wouldn't waste all that heated space. A 2 x 3 heated space with nothing on it. Maybe some kind of a preheater pan - if You don't want to make it part of your continuous flow pan. How many sections does this 2 x 4 flat continuous flow pan have? Maybe hook a 2 x 3 pan on to it and use all that heated surface space - just a thought. ----Mike----

poulin
01-19-2014, 03:06 PM
I forgot to mention i will mostly boil on the w-ends only.

Ryan August
01-19-2014, 04:16 PM
I get what mike said on why waste space but I also here you, don't want to spend money on pans to fill the entire space. Maybe go with your idea but get a pot and put it on the sheet metal. Can act as a pre heater and a finisher pot. With a 2x7, I think you need seven gallons for one inch deep boil. My gues is need to boil 200 plus gallons prior to draw off. My math could be off. With only thirty taps, you will only have 300 or so gallons of sap all year

poulin
01-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Money is always an issue but here my main concern is to get a boiling tool that fits as well as possible the sap quantity i will likely get with that few taps. The idea of utilizing the heat as as preheat device is good, never thought about that.

I even thought about selling the whole thing and buy a new smaller one, but i'm exploring if i could not only change the pans setup as i know in the future i'll get more taps.

MarkL
01-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I boil on a half-pint and I set out between 60-75 taps per season. I haven't had difficulty making all the syrup I want - more than I need for sure - boiling mostly on weekends and sometimes weeknights. I think your setup sounds awfully big for your taps. I'd downsize and invest in a small-medium setup. Good luck!

poulin
01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Problem is i have the potential for many more taps, so i'm inquiring if i could fit my fire with a smaller pan for 2-3 years. If it's not a good idea i will change the whole system.

psparr
01-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Not sure of your woods layout, but I have 20 taps in already on 3/16 gravity with a good drop off after my last tree. I only get to the cabin on weekends myself. Last week my 55 gallon barrel wss overflowing with sap, and the weather wasn't ideal sap weather.

I have a 2x6 and last year on poor sap weeks I boiled what I had, took it down as low as I could, and finished on the stove.

I like the idea of keeping the arch and later on adding a flue pan.

Are you sure your gonna stop at 30-50? You might catch the fever!

happy thoughts
01-20-2014, 04:14 PM
What do you mean by the pans are obsolete? Could they be still used for now or sold to help pay for new ones?

poulin
01-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Get fever ? Not possible as i am already infected ! In fact it is sure i'll go for more in 3-5 years. Now i'm only missing time but i want to learn in the meantime.

Obsolete ? Well not that much but not tig welded, copper fittings and not the look of miror SS. 48 " flue pan seems too big for this year but i have 2 18" flat pans. I either use the 2 flat pans or buy new ones. Spouse want to see "bright" stuff i guess...

poulin
01-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Maple entusiast, do you operate a flue pan with only 20 taps ?