PDA

View Full Version : To tap or not to tap.

Sandersyrup
01-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Put in a tap yesterday just for fun and it gave me a 1/2 gallon of sap in a few hours. Tempted to put the rest in as the forecast calls for a good run on Sunday and Monday. Forecast looks frozen for quite awhile after that.

Weather here is finicky. Perfect conditions are never reliable, it's a real possibility that this could be my first and only run. But I feel pretty confident that Feb will be good for sap this year as this is the first "normal" winter we've had in years.

I tap reds and Norways, which bud early so I'm kind of thinking the holes could never dry up before the 1st buds no matter when I tap. I also really love the light amber we get from early runs.

Hmmmm decisions decisions.

John

Sandersyrup
Strasburg, PA

6 taps Red, 8 taps Norway.

Amish canner evaporator.

Etown Maple Syrup
01-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi John, I am waiting until Feb 1 to start tapping in E-town. The past three years I tapped about now and ended up with frozen sap which picked up more bacteria and darkened my color. SO...I am waiting this year until 2-1-14. I am trying to be smarter each year. My experience with tap holes is that they will not close up until the spring. Dr. Tim talked me through that my first year. Somewhere in here is a thread on tap holes closing. I'm excited to begin but learning more patience! Have fun!
Ross

Sandersyrup
01-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Hey Ross,
Still Tapping this weekend? I think I'm going for it. This weekend loos good. Still cold temps forecasted though.. Hmmm.

Etown Maple Syrup
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
I just got back from Cassell Farm. Spent six hours there. I took supplies (buckets, taps, and drill). I decided to put the arch together (I brick and un-brick every year). So I will put some taps in Saturday as the weather does look favorable!!! As long as the sun peaks out and hits the south side of the trees, it should drip.