PDA

View Full Version : Keeping check valves clean and sterile while tapping

brookledge
01-17-2014, 09:35 PM
I was wondering what some producers do to keep the check valves sterile while tapping. Number one when there is 100 in a bag, and you put your hand into the bag to pull one out and your fingers touch the ends of others, is that contaminating the cv?
number two I have a leather pouch that I put a bag at a time in to pull from and as careful as I am by the time I get to the end of the bag there is wood shavings and bark etc. in the bag from tapping.
So I was wondering if this is an issue that i need to do better at and if so what are others doing to keep them sterile
Maybe Dr Perkins can coment
keith

adk1
01-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Do the best u can. Keep them in the plastic bag. I use a standard carpenters belt. It has two big pockets in the front. I use two bags of 50 cvs in each pocket.

SeanD
01-17-2014, 10:16 PM
I agree. Just do the best you can, but don't get too compulsive about it. You are not working in a sterile environment anyway. Besides the guy who counted out your order of taps by hand probably had a bag of Doritos for lunch!

If it's really important, maybe you could carry a couple of wet wipes with you or some hand sanitizer to clean your hands, but only if it gives you peace of mind. I don't think it will have much of an impact on your season compared to other factors like weather and the health of your trees.

Sean

spud
01-18-2014, 07:04 AM
I was wondering what some producers do to keep the check valves sterile while tapping. Number one when there is 100 in a bag, and you put your hand into the bag to pull one out and your fingers touch the ends of others, is that contaminating the cv?
number two I have a leather pouch that I put a bag at a time in to pull from and as careful as I am by the time I get to the end of the bag there is wood shavings and bark etc. in the bag from tapping.
So I was wondering if this is an issue that i need to do better at and if so what are others doing to keep them sterile
Maybe Dr Perkins can coment
keith

If you don't scratch your junk while tapping you should be fine.:o

Spud

Bruce L
01-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Don't sweat the small stuff, just insert them into the hole after you drill, we have a guy near us that goes way too far and carries alcohol with him to dip his drill into between EVERY hole, know how much extra time and effort that is? Far as I know I have never heard of a maple tree with an STD!!!!

sjdoyon
01-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Agree with Bruce L. We have to install over 10,000 and keep them in the plastic bags in our pouches. Normally tap when the temps are right around zero so not much bacteria forming. Just don't blow into the holes to remove any wood shavings. Seen a few sugarmakers do this and I just SMH.

Don't sweat the small stuff, just insert them into the hole after you drill, we have a guy near us that goes way too far and carries alcohol with him to dip his drill into between EVERY hole, know how much extra time and effort that is? Far as I know I have never heard of a maple tree with an STD!!!!

happy thoughts
01-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Don't over think it. It's the woods not an OR :). As others have said do the best you can and don't sweat the small stuff. The check valves themselves are helping keep bacteria down so you're already way ahead of the game over older type taps especially if they are replaced each year.

Maplewalnut
01-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Agree, keep them as clean as possible but don't think they are sterile, they are not even close!

brookledge
01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
That is my basic feeling also, I just know after I get down to the bottom of a bag there is pieces of bark, wood shavings etc. in the bag. not a ton but enough so I was wondering if there was a better way other than the carpenters pouch I now use.
Keith

mellondome
01-22-2014, 08:29 PM
There is.... use a shotgun shooters pouch.... it will hold more taps at a time!

You are over thinking the sterile tap. Last year they were assembling them by hand.