PDA

View Full Version : Flue brush handle

kiteflyingeek
01-16-2014, 11:15 PM
So, I picked up a brush at Sugar Bush Supplies in Mason, MI (nice folks, BTW). They said, "just get some 3/8" black pipe from the hardware store and this brush will thread right on."

Well, my hardware stores don't carry 3/8" pipe -- only the major plumbing supply shops. And the cheap one wants just under $2/ft for a 21ft stick! The expensive one is over $5/ft!!!

Is southwest IN just odd with the 3/8" black pipe market? Or has the industry dropped that size and it is just expensive. I just didn't think I'd be shelling out another $40 to get that part of this project going. Apparently, there's always something to spent $$ on in the maple world ;-)

I'm interested to hear what the rest of you might have to say.

--andrew

maplerookie
01-17-2014, 04:36 AM
Andrew , I jury rigged my set for my woodstove in the house..1/2 inch pvc I assume your brush has a stem coming out where you are supposed to attach a rope or cable to pull it through if it gets stuck. I used that hole drilled a hole through the pvc pipe bolt through the pipe and hole and ta da you got a working brush. pvc pipe about 3.00 for ten feet . I cut mine in half attached a male end and female end to each...as you work your way down just screw together...has worked for 5 years... good luck..

maplerookie
01-17-2014, 04:43 AM
or you could get a 3/8 to 1/2 in female adapter and attach a I/2 in male adapter to the pvc screw them together. bingo!

stoweski
01-17-2014, 04:46 AM
I use the fiberglass rods that are made for my chimney brush. Since I only have a 2x6 two rods does the job for me. Just needed an adapter for the brush. They flex a bit but still work well.

lpakiz
01-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Go to Menards (or Home Depot?) they have 10 foot sections of black pipe very reasonable. I bushed mine up so I use 1/2 inch pipe for rigidity. Or is there a metal salvage place (scrap yard) near you? Some allow you to scavenge.

adk1
01-17-2014, 07:57 AM
man I did the same thing..I spent allot on the black pipe..then come to find out the **** pipe wont fit thru my flues..mainly due to the fitting on the end of the pipe it still sits in the corner of the sugarhouse. I actually used a piece of cpvc..I like that better to tell you the truth..I dont have to worry about scraping the side of my flues with a piece of iron and the cpvc is more forgiving so I dont over do it. I however have a 2x6..most likely wouldnt be sturdy enough for a longer evap