PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Hill Crest Maple
01-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Hello All,
I am looking for ideas to pump sap from a 35 gallon collection tank to my 65 gallon storage tank.
Last year I used a 12V Simmer Pump attached to the tank with RV hoses. This year I would like to use a Bilge pump
used for boats. Has any one ever done this? It would mean to submerge the unit in the sap.
I am just looking to have something I can use without it freezing up overnight.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dave Y
01-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Yes a bilge pump will work. Just dont let it set in sap in freezing temps.

acerrubrum
01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
I transfer from a 35 gallon collection barrel to 55 gallon drums using air pressure. I glued pvc pipe through the bung plug down to about an inch from the bottom, inside of barrel. I made a fitting on the other bung plug that accepts my air nozzle from compressor. I send compressed air into the barrel and force the sap up through and out the other bung hole (via the pvc pipe) which then connects to a hose fitting. Works very well, I can drain 35 gallons in about 4 to 5 minutes.

Pat

markct
01-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I transfer from a 35 gallon collection barrel to 55 gallon drums using air pressure. I glued pvc pipe through the bung plug down to about an inch from the bottom, inside of barrel. I made a fitting on the other bung plug that accepts my air nozzle from compressor. I send compressed air into the barrel and force the sap up through and out the other bung hole (via the pvc pipe) which then connects to a hose fitting. Works very well, I can drain 35 gallons in about 4 to 5 minutes.

Pat That can be an excellent way to hurt yourself under the right conditions. Barrels, especialy plastic, are not made to take pressure and hold a huge amount of air ie stored energy. Look at the incident of the red hook brewery worker killed by an exploding plastic keg, and those were designed to take pressure! Not something to play with.

motowbrowne
01-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Also, I wouldn't breathe air out of a compressor, don't think I'd pump sap with one.

Sugarmaker
01-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Folks
The Rule 12 volt bilge pumps will do the job but not on frozen sap. Have been using those for years.
Regards,
Chris

acerrubrum
01-19-2014, 10:07 AM
That can be an excellent way to hurt yourself under the right conditions. Barrels, especialy plastic, are not made to take pressure and hold a huge amount of air ie stored energy. Look at the incident of the red hook brewery worker killed by an exploding plastic keg, and those were designed to take pressure! Not something to play with.

Thanks for the warning about this, I didn't really think it through. I think I'll look into a 12V pump.

Pat.

maple flats
01-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Have you ever sprayed a blow gun using your compressor? Look at all the real nasty gunk that shoots out. Not good for sap or syrup. The air flow will carry a fine mist of the nasty stuff you drain from the condensate drain on your compressor tank. It stinks and has to be real unsanitary.

TRAILGUY
01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
do you have a easy 12 volt source get at lease an 1 1/8 discharge
5 years still works great plugs in tractor

Hill Crest Maple
01-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I only have a 12V deep cycle battery that I have used in the past. I am looking
at the Rule 10 Marine Rule 2000 Marine Bilge Pump (2000-GPH, 12-Volt),
Hope this works. I would attach it to some kind of PVC that I can immerce
and take out when done.