PDA

View Full Version : Where to sell

a.sangi
01-16-2014, 02:07 PM
I am new to the whole syrup making thing. Can any one tell me if it is difficult to sell bulk or are there definate buyers. I know retail is the more profitable way to go, but I work a full time job and don't know if the bottling time and expenses are the worth it. Seems that a lesser quick easy payday might be the way to go. But are there buyers and who? WhAt about international?

Noah's Ark
01-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Not a direct answer to your question but a statement about selling retail. I am also very small, we sell syrup, honey and some other farm products as a side business. I have no problem selling out and could always sell far more than I produce. Most sales have been word of mouth through family and friends with a couple craft fairs thrown in there each year. Most of the time I can only boil on weekends or nights and work the bees the same way. I find the market stays active all year long so if I have to put aside some in bulk containers and bottle again when I have time I just let people know I have more product available.

adk1
01-16-2014, 03:56 PM
If you do not have allot of producers around you, say within 20 miles then you should have no problem selling your syrup by word of mouth. If you do, then the pickins will be less.

sugarman3
01-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Catskill Maple buys bulk syrup near you,i believe his name is Kauffman

SWEETER CREATIONS
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Been doing this for 40 plus years and never had a quick or fast payday ! Yes you can definately sell bulk , I too work a full time job but reserve 90% of my syrup for retail, weather it be for cream , candy , or just syrup. My belief is when customers come for maple products make them available even if you have to buy syrup to do this. If you dont have it they will go to someone who does, once youve lost them you might lose them forever. My 2 cents. Mike.

a.sangi
01-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Yes well how do you go about selling it. Do you just set up a road side stand. I've been thinking about doing this for some time and could have between 500 and 1000 taps on my own land(15 acres) and my father has about 5000 to 10000 possible taps that I could possibly develope on 100 acres.Now I have 0 taps now and have never done this before. I will soon have at least 50 just to see how it goes any will boil in the backyard.Before I spend any real $$ I just would like to know about the sales end of things. I love trees and the outdoors and maple syrup, but I am busy enough. So if I were to do this it would mostly be for financial profit. Is it a good idea. I know most probably don't want another competitor, but what's the real deal about the business side. Thanks for all the replies.

Rhino
01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Not sure how old you are? but i would ease into it for a few seasons on your 15 acres of land, save up some money, and if you like doing the work thats involved, keep growing your business. 5000 to 10,000 taps is alot, be prepared for lots of pre-season and post season work, (and alot of sleepless nights) if or when you start getting to those numbers of taps. Also the expense goes up but obviously you will start to make more money. With the new taps, vac, r.o, pipeline equipment out there nowadays, (and syrup prices) you are picking a good time to get into it i would say.

Dixie Bee Acres
01-17-2014, 10:25 PM
You might try doing what I did, before i even registered on this forum. I spent a lot of time reading almost every post from the past couple of years. Gained a lot of knowledge.

Mark
01-18-2014, 08:34 PM
If I were to do it over again, I would have skipped the first year and tried to volunteer to work for nothing for a season for a large producer.