PDA

View Full Version : Roadside tapping

Ligonierbeech
01-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Has anyone ever experience vandalism with tapping trees along the road? If so what type? Just curious,thinking about finding some roadside trees. Not sure if I trust the local youth!

michiganphil
01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
I tap roadside, and have never had any problems. I don't set very many taps compared to most operations, so I don't think it draws much attention.

A couple of other producers near me run tubing into the blue barrels. They run thousands of taps, so it stretches miles down the road. They have kids come by at night and tip over barrels.
I have heard stories from up east about kids peeing in buckets.

On the upside though, roadside trees are usually very large with big crowns, which means higher sugar.

SDdave
01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Not sure if I trust the local youth!

Sad isn't it?

I have heard stories from up east about kids peeing in buckets.

My brother is a high school teacher, when he learned some of his students found out his hobby, he pulled all his taps in fear of this. I don't think he has made syrup since then.

But that was a bad group of kids. I'm sure you'll be fine!!

SDdave

adk1
01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
I hang some bags at my parents house which is in a Village and the trees are on the street. I have never had an issue. I think the bags are better along the roads that the buckets. maybe not for vandilism but for "other" issues that could occur. I also try to hang them facing the house/property away from the street. The only person that ever questioned what they were was my parents neighbor. They thought they were some sort of squirrel protection device! haha

lyford
01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
when you guys tap road side trees do you ask permission or are you allowed to tap any trees that are within your municipalities easment from the center line of the road, just curious

tcross
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Why would you not ask for permission??? I don't tap road side trees but I would most certainly ask! sort of rude and disrespectful not to in my opinion!! and you're just asking for trouble if you don't ask!

bairdswift
01-15-2014, 01:00 PM
I put up 120 bucks on a back road. I've seen foot prints going to my buckets that were not mine. I think tho it was the locals seeing how they are running. My biggest problem is everyone stopping and asking questions and burning up time when I'm in a hurry.

adk1
01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
IF they are within the ROW of the municipal body then those trees are basically everyones "public". Given the fact that the Municipal Governing Body works for the general public, I would expect that you would need to ask.

spud
01-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Why would you not ask for permission??? I don't tap road side trees but I would most certainly ask! sort of rude and disrespectful not to in my opinion!! and you're just asking for trouble if you don't ask!

I agree with you 100%. Yes the town owns 25 feet from the center of the road. If I had maple trees along the road and they were only 24 feet from center line I would still look at those trees as mine to tap. I would shoot every bucket that someone else hung.

Spud

Ligonierbeech
01-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will look into some road side trees!

Dave Y
01-15-2014, 05:27 PM
It is common courtesy to ask permission to tap any tree you do not own. As for vandalism I hung hundreds of bucket that were road side and in yards and places they could be messed with, and had little to no problems. one time some nut used a bucket for target practice but that was once out of thousands of opportunities. If you can get permission tap them. But go well before the season.

Sugarmaker
01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Our sugarbush, 600 taps, on short run tubing, is all along the local county roads. We get permission and talk with the owners at least once each season. We rent the trees and pay for the privilege of tapping with 1 gallon of syrup for each 100 taps. We have been very fortunate to not have much vandalism. When we had buckets some one took several buckets off the trees and through them a little ways away from the tree. Another bucket was used for target practice. On our current tubing one of the containers was found smashed but could have blown into traffic. All in all we keep our fingers crossed and keep tapping.

Bucket Head
01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
All in all, we have been lucky also. Years ago someone cut one of our roadside tubing lines and two years ago someone stole one of our galvanized buckets. I figured only two jerks was'nt too bad considering the thousands of folks who see our equipment as they drive by year after year.

Steve