PDA

View Full Version : Freeze protection on IBC tote / 275 gallon cage tank valve?

Snowy Pass Maple
01-14-2014, 01:37 PM
We have an opportunity to setup a 275 gallon IBC tote for collection from a tubing site. This is located in southern NY. Power is not available at the site unless I decide to place a deep cycle battery, inverter and low wattage heat tape/thermostat - not something I want to do unless I absolutely have to. In an extreme pinch, I could it as I have a couple deep cycle batteries available.

How do other people handle freeze protection of the valve and how cold does it need to be to cause damage to this part in your experience?

If I pull the sap out from the top, I could just cap the valve and wrap it in foam insulation if that would be sufficient for typical conditions.

I was also considering adapting the output to a second inexpensive ball valve and quick connect fitting (I think I read many people on here do so) - in this case, I could leave the integrated valve open and not risk it breaking from overuse. The catch I see with this approach is that you're extending that tube and valve further out away from the bulk of the tank, and I worry this would make it freeze much faster.

Thanks for any tips - I searched a bit but couldn't find a good thread on this - yet I'm sure it's been discussed many times!

Colin

sugarman3
01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
I have used 3 of them for over 10 yrs and never worried,if the valves freeze,pull out of the top,generally,when the sap runs, its warm enough to thaw the valves,usually the only time I worry is very early in the season when the sap runs and even then, the sap is above 33 degees,plus if the sun is out,the valve will draw the suns warmth and keep them thawed.i have had them freeze without damage,plus I screwed quick connects with there own shut off on all the valves and took the ball valve out of the tank valves,i have found not to trust the shut off valves that come on the tank,generally the ball gaskets on the valve leaked

Maplewalnut
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Unscrew the valve and put on a butress fitting to standard pvc cap. Probably more freeze sturdy than those valves.

Snowy Pass Maple
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I didn't think about just pulling the valve altogether and capping. I got IBCs that have valves terminating in a standard thread for PVC fittings so it's really easy for me to adapt or cap them - not sure what is on the other end of that valve so I'll check it out.

Buttress thread would mean a mail order, but I see some adapters on ebay for $5 shipped... worth having in a pinch if the valve goes.

Sounds like I may also be worrying more than necessary on the freezing though. And if I could adapt the bottom to safely allow a quick connect to a transfer pump, I'd think that would be ideal for pump priming as it could just use the sap head in the tank.

-Colin