PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting change

Maplewalnut
01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Has anyone ever changed the company hosting your website? Orginally went with a local company on a recommendation 8 years ago but their customer service has gotten very bad and their pricing is a lot more than other ones I see advertised. I assume I can keep the same web address even If I were to pay someon else tomanage and host the site. How much hassel can I expect?

Thanks Mike

shane hickey
01-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I have mine set up with wix but I Dont pay anything for it but I'm sure if you change company's they should let you keep the same domain

gmcooper
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Hopefully changing will go smoothly for you. A couple organizations I have been members of changed webhosts and could not take the domain name with them. One was with a local guy who seemed great to begin with. After the first year which was our biggest expense he barely responded to changes and corrections needed. During the 3rd year he ended up shutting down and sold the domain name to someone in India(?). Another group, the members set up and ran the website that was hosted on Bravenet. They were never able to transfer the domain and finally gave up trying.

Maplewalnut
01-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Very similar situation gmcooper...I'll let you know the outcome. Sort of stuck without the same domain address that is already on labels, signs etc.

CincySyrupPusher
02-10-2014, 10:59 AM
If any of you guys moving stuff around need any help... I can assist. I own my own server with Bluehost and know all about moving things around and email, NameServers, MX records etc.

PM me and we can talk it over!

Also, if you need hosting, I can do that too for cheaper than you can on your own since I have the server already. I host a number of other sites.

Timberwolf
02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Hopefully changing will go smoothly for you. A couple organizations I have been members of changed webhosts and could not take the domain name with them. One was with a local guy who seemed great to begin with. After the first year which was our biggest expense he barely responded to changes and corrections needed. During the 3rd year he ended up shutting down and sold the domain name to someone in India(?). Another group, the members set up and ran the website that was hosted on Bravenet. They were never able to transfer the domain and finally gave up trying.

Good for people to hear this, please make sure that if you have a domain registered that you retain the rights to that registration, i.e. preferably you or your organization pay for the registration directly that way no one can try to do this to you. In the end if you own the rights to the domain you can change to whoever you want, though any content, i.e. website they developed for you depending on your agreement may be lost if switching. I personally like to pay for my domain registration and hosting myself then subcontract the web development, this way I own everything and in theory have more control.