PDA

View Full Version : First taps going in tomorrow

maple flats
01-13-2014, 05:25 PM
We have about 1/2-1 hr left to do repairs tomorrow (1/14/14), then we will start tapping. Hoping to finish this week, since my 3 man crew goes back to college on 1/21. Then instead of 3 workers all day 6 days a week, it drops to 1 worker for 4 hrs 1 day a week.
We are tapping before we add 1 or 2 new mains. That will come during sap flow no flow or very slow flow days.

lakeview maple
01-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Good luck to you maple flats ,I hope your season goes well. Well at least a little better than mine has started Im still trying to round up troops to finish some mainline work and run some more laterals, I broke my leg on the 7th and I have a new evap to picl up on the 29th and all of the stuff to go with it ,lol heres to praying a lot .Take care Al

Michael Greer
01-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Don't worry Lakeview; we'll have another month of winter starting this weekend. You'll be all healed up by then.

lakeview maple
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks ,there saying 12 weeks might be a wash for the season, we will see what happens in the next couple weeks with some volunteer help.
:)

Deano686
01-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Lakeview, if I can get ahead of my stuff here, I'd be more than happy to take a trip up and lend a hand for a day. Keep me posted on your schedule. I have to finish my evaporator build, and get things set up. I should be in good shape in about 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed!!

lakeview maple
01-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Lakeview, if I can get ahead of my stuff here, I'd be more than happy to take a trip up and lend a hand for a day. Keep me posted on your schedule. I have to finish my evaporator build, and get things set up. I should be in good shape in about 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed!!
Deano ,that's really awesome to offer but your a pretty long hall away, Ive got a hunting camp south of you 30 minutes below middleburgh . Ive got some guys who want to help and they are supposed to be here next Thursday with a bunch of help. Its awesome of them all ,the only real glitch is only 1 knows how to run laterals ,so he should have a ton of help. I want to say sorry to Maple Flats for hijacking this thread .Al

Deano686
01-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Well the offer stands if ya need it. I'm originally from the Middleburgh area. Would hate to see somebody miss out on the season, and sure wouldn't mind meeting somebody else with the addiction. I can usually scare up enough help to have everything tapped in a little over a weekend. Yeh.....sorry Flats.

Jmsmithy
01-18-2014, 11:46 PM
We have about 1/2-1 hr left to do repairs tomorrow (1/14/14), then we will start tapping. Hoping to finish this week, since my 3 man crew goes back to college on 1/21. Then instead of 3 workers all day 6 days a week, it drops to 1 worker for 4 hrs 1 day a week.
We are tapping before we add 1 or 2 new mains. That will come during sap flow no flow or very slow flow days.

Awesome Dave. Good luck!

I'll be up Tuesday. Meeting w/ contractor to finish the electrical Wednesday. Hope to have the Sugarhouse complete in next week or so to take my new evaporator. Remi has it, just waiting on hood/roof jacks... As soon as that's in, bricked etc I'll be tapping....hopefully Jon will get a day out to run line w/ me to show me the ropes...then I'll be tapping AND buying sap...holy cow the amount of tasks really is mind blowing but I'm looking forward to it!

maple flats
02-08-2014, 07:07 AM
We actually finished tapping 1/20. Have not yet run the pumps, weather not right. Sat the releaser last Sat. Today I have my 3 men back for the day only, we're going to string a support wire for my 950' TF line down the curved side of a gulley, going to the road. I need to swap my 1" line for a 1.5" line so I can pump to the truck faster. While I get good results running 1" with no wire, larger does need wire support or much more support points from side ties or posts. Only a little over 620-640' will be 1.5", then when that is used up, I'll go to 1.25" the rest of the way to the tank.