PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive storage tank suggestions?

buck3m
11-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi folks,

Next spring I hope to hang enough buckets, about 250, so I'll actually need a storage tank instead of the milk cans I've been using.

Any advice on the size of the tank, plastic vs. steel, shape, features, where to find a bargain, etc? I'd like to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible.

Thanks!

Fred Henderson
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
WAL MART get yourself some rectangular storage bins or plastic 55gal barrels that have had food products in them such a juice concentrate or yogart.

brookledge
11-10-2006, 04:46 PM
The rule of thumb is 1 gal of storage per tap per day. If you boil every day then about 250 gal if you boil every other day then 500gal etc.
I would recommend you look for a poly tank mounted on a pallet they hold about 275 gallons and will fit in a pickup. They are protected by a metal cage.
I don't know where you could look for them in your area but around here many use them and they very cheap because many manufacturers are looking to get rid of them.
Just be carefull to find out what was in the tank before
Maybe someone else could suggest where to look.
Here is one on ebay to show you what I mean. As I said you can find them that previously had food products in them
http://cgi.ebay.com/275-gallon-IBC-tote-tank-plastic-container_W0QQitemZ320047902684QQihZ011QQcategoryZ 92079QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keith

maplehound
11-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I go to dairy auctions and buy smaller ( 200- 500 gall) Milk tanks. Most tell you that they are worth $1 per gallon of holding capacity. Myself I have never paid more than $150 for a 300 gal. tank, and that one was direct off a farmer who had retired. I have never paid more than $50 for them at auctions. Look for ones that leak freon and need to be removed from a milk house. It takes work to remove them especcially if you need to remove a wall to get them out. Most milk houses have removable walls so they can get them out. I now have 7 Milk tanks and am always looking for more.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
11-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I've paid anywhere from 27 to 50 cents/gal. Maplehound is right about the $1/gal. but for what we do with the tanks personally I don't think it's worth that much...but maybe to someone it is.

royalmaple
11-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Buck & anyone else looking-

Try calling your local sewage treatment facility.

They get these totes, like kevin mentioned. They come in the galvanized cage 275 poly totes with dump valve.

The sewage treatment plants get polymers in them. Used to get solids to separate out of the "stuff". I have called and talked to the "right" people at the facility and they state the polymers are 100% safe, and found in small quantities in town drinking water, again to help solids separate.

If you get one, they usually have 1-2 inches of left over polymer in the bottom of the tank. It is not an environmental concern, but be careful where you wash them out. Make sure you empty out somewhere no one walks or needs to go. This stuff is super slippery and if it is on the driveway you'll be on ice skates.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-11-2006, 11:35 AM
As far as the milk tank price is concerned, it depends on where you are located. I picked up a 625 gallon one last year that I found indirectly thru trader members and was finally able to track down for $ 400. It had just went bad and the farmer told me he could get $ 200 for it in scrap and I offered him $ 400 if he would hold it for 2 to 3 months and agreed. Down here in WV, the get $ 2 to $ 3 @ gallon or more but needless to say they don't sell very many at that price but that is the market price. :? Guess that's why I drove aprox 600 mile round trip well north of Pittsburg to get mine. 8O

NH Maplemaker
11-12-2006, 10:01 AM
I just picked up 2 new plastic totes like brookledge was talking about for $50 bucks each, had soy sauce in them.I was told by a barrel dealer that if the tote has black cover on top it is food grade :!: If it has a red cover it is not food grade :!: I don't know for sure if this is true, but I don't buy any with red covers :? Have five or six now and they work grate. JIm L.

mapleman3
11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
I have one also with a black cover, Its too bad your not closer I would sell it to you for 40 bucks, I want to get a lower profile tank for the back of my truck for collecting, even though the cage tant has proved well!

Fred Henderson
11-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Do what I did. I used a caged tank in my pickup and also used 1/3 of a plastic barrel to dump into then a bildge pump put the sap into the cage tank. It worked super.

mapleman3
11-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Fred thats what I did this past season, worked great but still want lower profile for the "slosh" factor, when I got it filled 3/4 it would move my truck around a bit going around corners or stopping 8O :lol:

maplehound
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
West Virginia Mapler,
I live an hour North of Pitt. in Columbiana, Ohio. I have found that if the tanks are outside or stored in the barn they go for more than the ones still in the milk house. No one wants to remove them and to worry about the freon in the lines (if any remains). Ussually when you buy them you also agree to take the compressor. They are real heavy but you can sell them for scrap and at the price of scrap now you could end up getting your money back.

Fred Henderson
11-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Fred thats what I did this past season, worked great but still want lower profile for the "slosh" factor, when I got it filled 3/4 it would move my truck around a bit going around corners or stopping 8O :lol:

Holy cow thats a lot of weight for a pickup!!!!!!!!!! I never let them fill mine more than half full just for the reasons that you have stated.

mapleman3
11-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I tried not to go more than half to two thirds.. BUT a few times I didn't want to go back twice... and one time my wife collected and pretty much filled it, I almost died when she told me that.. I OWN A DODGE DAKOTA IT'S NOT A 3/4 TON 8O but all is still well 8) I think helper springs are in order

Fred Henderson
11-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Mine is a 3/4 ton Diesel. No matter what engine its still a lot of weight. Just like my Kubota RTV the we collect with, last year we put one 55 gal barrel in it, that is app 400 lbs. This year we will have more trees and farther to go so do I want to go for 2 barrels? It will carry the weight ok but it will also make deeper ruts. Right now the tracks for the bota are starting to look real good.

buck3m
11-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I appreciate it. I ended up buying one of those 275 gallon totes with the black cover that had been used for some type of food or other and then washed out.

It cost me $100 but it's nearby so I can make a short run to pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks again!

buck3m
11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I plan to just adjust the feed by hand. Any ideas on what I need (fittings pipes valves) to bring the sap from the 275 gal tote tank to the pan with a valve at the pan to adjust the flow? How about freezing temperatures? Any problems with those plastic valves on those totes breaking?

brookledge
11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't think the plastic valve will hold up in the long run I may be wrong and maybe someone can tell you if they have had good luck doing that but If it freezes it will be hard to thaw out without being able to heat it witha torch.
Keith

buck3m
11-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure as far as breakage goes, but I know I can thaw the valves out because I did it this morning with hot water. So I got part of it figured out!

Pete S
12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
The tote and poly tank idea sounds very economical, but was wondering if the sunlight issue is a concern?

If you utilize a translucent tank the sun can easily penetrate it thus reaching the sap, then if covered, the cover would probably be dark and thus cause solar heat gain..........?

Is any of this a concern?

Storing or parking the tank under a roof good enough?

Thanks!
Pete

maplehound
12-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I use a 500 gal poly tank to transport my sap. I do let it set outside during the season and don't feel the black cap does any noticable harm. During the off seadon I do store it in side a barn. I find that if it sits ouside during the hot summer months that I get an alagie build up inside. I am sure if I got it completely dry inside that this wouldn't be an isue but it is very hard to get the inside dry.
Ron