PDA

View Full Version : 2014 warm weather update

handtapper
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Got between .75 and 1.5 gallons of sap per tree today. I only put 1 tap per tree and only on some of my trees to keep my options open later in the season. I put out 15 taps I'm probably going to bump it up to 50. Weather looks more than favorable until january 25th

adk1
01-13-2014, 07:58 PM
We'll keep it going. As others have said if your not tapped in and you miss the early runs you are never going to get them back

handtapper
01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
I didn't put any more in, the warm weather went cold again, being january and all. Got 70 gallons in total on that run. Its all frozen solid in a storage tote hasn't unfroze in 10days. Didn't finish the sugarshack in time to move the evap and boil. Still going to be nice to have some sap to test the new operation out on....if I can ever finish it. I'm interested to see if it runs on the next few warmer days or not. I figure if I didn't tap early this year I wouldn't learn any lessons to put into next year, so far id say not worth the hassle of dealing with the freezes which are 10x more extreme than in march april