PDA

View Full Version : My Homemade Finishing/Pressure Pot, Filter Press, and Double Boiler Bottling Assy's

DoubleBrookMaple
01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Well...
It all went well. I just need the interconnects and testing to see what happens. The five gallon Finishing and pressure pot have been hydrostatic pressure tested to 40psi. I have installed an over pressure relief valve for 30psi, which is the max my air pressure regulator will put out.
The Filter Press plates are fabricated from Meranti Marine grade plywood, routed, drilled, sanded, with stainless sheets for the filter backing plate with aluminum mesh. All pressure treated at 25 psi (in my pressure pot) with pharmacy bought mineral oil. Aluminum end plates, angle iron, stainless fittings, 3/4 threaded rod, and some nuts.
The double boiler is a 5 gallon inside a larger pot, and quite simple. Put together in an hour or so.

Many challenges along the way. Certainly trying to stay food safe with sealant/adhesive, and wood treatment. I used Dow Corning 732 silicone for the sealant (the only silicone I found to be NSF certified both 51, and 61. I decided that I would only use NSF certified material, since anyone can claim FDA "approved", when the FDA does not test and approve any of these materials.
The mineral oil for wood treatment was decided after a couple other alternatives were eliminated because of the temperature limitations.
The filter press pre-filter chamber is only 3/4" deep. I can double up the plates and make it 1 1/2" if needed.
Will it work for my small operation? I think so, but how well, and what will I have to change/modify?
Here is a couple pics. If you want to see more you will need to visit my Drop Box site, and it requires a sign in.
Drop Box Link....
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Finsihing%20and%20Filter%20Assy

Questions...
1. How long with this marine plywood hold up?
2. Is the pre-filter chamber deep enough for just a few gallons of syrup, and how many chambers will I need? I have six now.

Double Brook Eric

Bonlander15
01-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Looks awesome. Interested to see how it works. Keep us posted. Great JOB!!!!

Ausable
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Well Doctor Science (Eric) - It is a thing of awesome beauty. I have heard about the Patent - Pot Still with the Baffle Blade Condenser - but - I have never actually seen one. Is it really true that it makes a fine Maple Brandy from fermented maple syrup? ------ Just having a little fun Eric. A very nice job indeed. ---Mike----

Deano686
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm a carpenter/woodworker by trade. The ingenuity and workmanship that went into this is very impressive!!! Very interested to hear how it works for ya!!