PDA

View Full Version : my 2014 journey

Dixie Bee Acres
01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
I ordered my taps too late and they aren't here yet, so I made some to get started. I used nylon hose barbs and some PVC or rubber tubing.
At about 2:00pm yesterday I put 2 taps in a tree in my back yard and 2 taps in a tree in my side yard.
The tree in the side yard doesn't get sunlight directly on it until later in the day, but the trunk of the tree in back yard gets morning sun and afternoon sun.

Back yard tree, tree 1, started to drip, side yard tree, tree 2, didn't.
As of 5:00pm today, have gotten 3.5 quarts of sap from tree 1, and just barely over a pint from tree 2.

I am keeping a journal of my journey to syrup this year. I am recording how much sap per day, plus weather conditions, and daily high and low temps.
I don't know how useful this info will be, but I might be able to use it in future years.

The taps I ordered should be here this week some time. I have trees on my property for 12 to 15 more taps, and can get about 5 more across the road from my house.

Hoping for 2 to 3 gallons this year......fingers crossed.

kiteflyingeek
01-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Where in IN are you? As my Location: states, I'm in the southwest corner of the state. Actually east of Evansville and just 1 mile north of the Ohio river. I am still building my arch and getting other things ready so I'm not tapping yet -- plus there's the week of skiing my family will be doing in a few weeks. So, I'll be tapping after that.

This will be my second year and I've decided to go pretty big this year -- purchased 2x6 pans from Smoky Lake Maple and going from 19 taps to 60-100.

Anyways, welcome tp the acddiction and glad to have you here.

--andrew

Dixie Bee Acres
01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks Andrew.

I'm right along I74, right near the Illinois boarder.

kiteflyingeek
01-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Wow -- quite a bit further north. Already it of the deep freeze we all had a week ago and your sap is running. Good news.

--andrew

DougM
01-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Dixie Bee,
I grew up in Cayuga, IN, it sounds like you're close to there? I know a guy who has an operation in that area, but I'm not sure of his exact location.

We are located near Danville, IN, so a little south of you, but not much. I hope you get some great runs of sap, but our experience has been that when we tap this early the trees may thaw & run a little, but then we get another stretch of cold weather and everything is frozen for a week. If that doesn't happen I guess we'll miss the early run.

Good Luck

Dixie Bee Acres
01-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Dixie Bee,
I grew up in Cayuga, IN, it sounds like you're close to there? I know a guy who has an operation in that area, but I'm not sure of his exact location.

We are located near Danville, IN, so a little south of you, but not much. I hope you get some great runs of sap, but our experience has been that when we tap this early the trees may thaw & run a little, but then we get another stretch of cold weather and everything is frozen for a week. If that doesn't happen I guess we'll miss the early run.

Good Luck

Doug, I'm actually closer to Covington, but, I did graduate from North Vermillion. Almost 20 years ago......

sawyerkirk
01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
kiteflyingeek

Kiteflyingeek, you're not far from me, I'm just west of Haubstadt. Looks like we have at least a few more weeks before any good flow. I am starting to get taps and buckets cleaned up

DougM
01-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Not to say I told you so....but it's going to get REALLY cold around here next week.

Dixie Bee, I was about 10 years ahead of you at NV - 1985.

Doug

lpakiz
01-19-2014, 03:35 PM
My daughter-in-law grew up in Covington, where both of her parents were teachers at the public high school. Small world!
She and my son live in Rockville now.

Dixie Bee Acres
01-19-2014, 05:03 PM
My daughter-in-law grew up in Covington, where both of her parents were teachers at the public high school. Small world!
She and my son live in Rockville now.

My grandmother taught at covington HS from 1974-1994.

Doug, you are correct, exactly 10 years, but I do know a couple of people who would have been in your class.

Small world indeed.

Dixie Bee Acres
01-19-2014, 05:06 PM
And yes, the cold is coming. All of my sap collection jugs have been frozen with a little in the bottom for several days now.

Dixie Bee Acres
01-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Did my first boil today. It honestly wasn't worth the time, but I had my reasons. The sap really hasn't been flowing the past few days because of the low temps, but I had about 4 gallons +/- of sap in the fridge. Today got to 35 degrees, but I won't see above freezing temps for at least 4 or 5 more days.

So I got out the turkey fryer and got to cooking. No more sap than I had, I really didn't want to start a wood fire. While boiling, I noticed my jugs on the trees were filling, so I collected almost an additional gallon and a half of sap. Once done, I ended up with almost a pint of dark amber sweetness.

Next time I won't start boiling till I have at least 15 to 20 gallons of sap or more.