PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the roads are really bad

Flat47
01-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Been getting freezing rain all morning. The town plow just went by the house sanding again...

...in reverse...

yep, backed up the whole 5 miles of road to be able to sand. Twice. That's not easy on our road.

markct
01-11-2014, 12:35 PM
I had to laugh one day when a state plow driver did that on a hill cause the sand trucks they use have the spinner ahead of the rear axle!

western mainer
01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Ya it's no better here in Greenwood the town truck can't even back up the hill here only 33 here and raining hard.
Brian

Shawn
01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
pouring, very slippery

maple flats
01-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Our roads were good today, but it sure was slick in the woods where the snow had been packed down. It rained and that makes for some really slick ice.

lpakiz
01-11-2014, 10:07 PM
In the hill country here in Wisconsin, the spinner is located at the front corner of the box, just behind the cab. They use a conveyer in a V bottom box to bring sand forward. Beats backing up a slippery hill.

stoweski
01-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Been getting freezing rain all morning. The town plow just went by the house sanding again...

...in reverse...

You know, I had to wonder about that. I was skiing (for a short time) yesterday. Freezing rain in the morning... lots of hills to the mountain. I was thinking how would a plow do going up a bobsled run. That's the only way I could see them getting up the hill... backwards. Makes sense.

Thad Blaisdell
01-12-2014, 06:30 AM
I had to laugh one day when a state plow driver did that on a hill cause the sand trucks they use have the spinner ahead of the rear axle!

Actually you would do that if the ice is really bad. That way if you lose control you are pointed in the right direction and have a chance to make it back to the bottom safely. I would rather look stupid and be safe than look smart and be dead.

stoweski
01-12-2014, 08:19 AM
I would rather look stupid and be safe than look smart and be dead.

Should be the motto for every lumberjack!

BreezyHill
01-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Best I saw was the sander on the box turning to slow and the truck stuck with a pile of sand under the spinner and nothing past the drive shaft of the truck. The nut at the wheel of the truck, forgot to turn up the spinner speed when spreading sand.

tessiersfarm
01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Same storm here I saw them running chains on the front, haven't seen that for a long time. I guess going ain't all that important if you can't control the direction.