PDA

View Full Version : Hauling Sap - ATV, SkiDoo, Tracttor ?

Maplesapper
01-11-2014, 08:59 AM
How are you guys getting in and out of the sugar bush with a load of Sap when there is still lots of snow ?

Typically we are hauling 150- 200 gallons at a time in a small landscape trailer and get stuck a lot in the snow.

Our bush is fairly uneven and steep in the forests of Parry Sound- no flat farm gig here.

ATV's with tracks ?? Compact Tractor with chains??

Uneven , hilly terrain, whats the best for the snow.

Thanks

farmall h
01-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Maplesapper, back in the day before we changed over to tubing we would haul in 5 gallon buckets to a remote dumping station (tank)that would gravity feed to the sugar house. We also had a tank that we would dump into then pump to the sugarhouse...but we were all young then, tapping 500 + buckets. If you can afford them...tracks on a 4 wheeler are nice..go anywhere.

Maplesapper
01-11-2014, 02:37 PM
We have used the dump station idea and then haul over to the evaporator which is 1500 yards and two small ravines away.
Low lying ground so its soggy and mires the machines easily.
ATV gets stuck, and I am leary about the tracks.
Heard they really burn up a bike.
CAN AM - Apache tracks cost $4500 installed.

Just purchased 100 acres.
So
Wondering if we should buy a small compact tractor, an old AC WD, or Farmall Cub type.
Just not what type of vehicle will purr thru the woods in snow, mud etc- Maybe that needs to be my next thread

tuckermtn
01-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Thiokol Super Imp

http://www.snotrans.com/_images/Thiokol_1450_Super_Imp_wt_024.jpg

shane hickey
01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
I have always used a tractor haul out 1500 gallons at a time but it takes a big four wheel drive

Maplesapper
01-11-2014, 07:58 PM
We are just simple backyarders...lol to a 4x4 Tractor.

Any recommendations on a hobby tractor that would work well and within a smallish budget?

dschultz
01-11-2014, 08:12 PM
I use a 4 wheeler with tracks and pull a trailor with a 200 gallon tank on it.

shane hickey
01-11-2014, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=dschultz;234422]I use a 4 wheeler with tracks and pull a trailor with a 200 gallon tank on it. How much are those tracks? Do they stay on top of the snow

steam maker
01-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I got mine for 3600 installed , dont have deep snow yet but evryone says there unstoppable we will see i hope😃

Chicopee Sap Shack
01-11-2014, 08:53 PM
In soft in unpacked snow no load behind you they go fine. Put a load behind you in non packed snow then you run into issues. Packed snow load or no load you go all day.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Chicopee Sap Shack
01-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Just run your gathering roads a few times empty after storms or sitting tapping to pack them down. Make your self a base to ride on.

Scott

Maplesapper
01-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Steam Maker-

What kind of atv and tracks do you run? Bigger than a 500 ?

Can am needs their own version of tracks -Apache- apparently or the bikes overheat.

shane hickey
01-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Are most cog drive and what do they do with speed? Will they vibrate much

dschultz
01-12-2014, 05:39 AM
I have a Yamaha 660 grizzly there on.
There just like riding a snowmobile wherever you want to go you go.
The tracks cost 3900 installed,there cog driven and there is no vibration at all.As far as speed I only go 15 mph at tops that's fast enough,I'm not running a race.
And they have no problem pulling that 200 gallons.

Chicopee Sap Shack
01-12-2014, 06:19 AM
I have a grizzly 700 with power steering and the tatou tracks. No vibrations at all. The tracks will gear down your the speed giving you more torque. The over heating is prob due to a dirty radiator.

Scott

steam maker
01-12-2014, 07:34 AM
I have them on a polaris 500 sportsman ho. No power steering!!! Not to hard to handle

Big_Eddy
01-13-2014, 09:22 AM
I run my 4x4 compact tractor through my trails with the snowblower on and clear a basic path at the beginning of the season. After that I have a dedicated trailer with a 100gal tank onit. Other than 1 hill that sometimes causes issues (both going up empty and coming back down) I do fine.

I have about 1000' of trail - can take several hours to blow it out the first time. With an inch of ice this year - may take longer. Once the initial trail is cut - I usually just drive through anything new that falls.

maple milker
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
I have a Kubota 2800 hydro 4x4 and haul 2 55 gallon drums in the front end loader. It's easier to snake through the narrow winding logging roads with out a trailer attached.

Shawn
01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Use a Can-Am 650 wheeler with tracks on it, another person that sugars with me uses and Arctic Cat side by side with tracks, I also have a 30 tractor with chains on if not a lot of snow. Haul wagons with 65 gal. gathering tanks in one and two 60 gal tanks in the other. Have worked well for us. Also have a Can-Am wheeler with no tracks if needed. If not enough snow for tracks run chains on wheelers.

farmall h
01-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Maple Sapper, I don't haul sap with mine..just sugaring supplies, tubing etc. Saves walking up very steep hill to the bush. We have been tubing since 1983.
If you plan to tap much larger in the future than the 4 wheeler w/tracks is the way to go for deep snow travel and mud. I have a 2008 Polaris HO and this is my third season with the Tatou S tracks (watch a few you tube videos on them). They were $3100.00 new. Polaris brand much more expensive. I initially purchased them for accessing the sugar bush in deep snow as our land is quite steep but with established trails. Quite a hike when hauling tubing,tapper,gas,etc.
Next machine will definitely have power steering as they tend to be "Armstrong" steering unless you are moving.

shane hickey
01-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Would those fit an artic cat 500 4 bolt lug

Maplesapper
01-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Problem solved- check these out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpKjEa4LYY

In reality, I'm going to break down and buy a Tundra sled......the models the trappers use, so lets hope they work.

Russell Lampron
01-14-2014, 05:54 PM
We drive through our sap roads after every snow storm to keep them open all winter and to pack down a base. I use the doodlebug in my avatar and put a 275 gallon cage tank on my cordwood trailer.

shane hickey
01-18-2014, 06:04 PM
I was wondering if any of you seen or used or own a new Holland rustle utility vehicle looking to purchase one. I know they are slow and heavy .but that's about it. New Holland dealer near me sells them but at the same time they never had. So it would have to be ordered.

shane hickey
01-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I BrokE Down And Bought It Sure Will Be Nicer Then The quad

David in MI
01-22-2014, 09:35 AM
We use two sap haulers in our operation. For collecting buckets we have a JD Gator 6x4 with two 55 gallon drums in the back. We cut holes in the tops of each, insert a 5-gallon bucket with the bottom cut out and a screw-top lid. This works quite well, although not in snow that is very deep. Those big flotation tires just don't get much traction without much weight in the back. Our other hauler is an older International Tractor with some really aggressive tire chains (Trygg). I don't have four wheel drive but the chains are good enough where I can steer with the brakes. Amazing what a really good set of chains does for a tractor that won't go anywhere without them.

See my avatar for pic.

Edit: I believe these are the chains I use. http://www.whitemountainchain.com/app/inventoryapp/trygg_smt_flexi/subcategory_list/10.html

http://www.trygg.no/en/tractor,dc50.html

SMT Flexi

Russell Lampron
01-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Our other hauler is an older International Tractor with some really aggressive tire chains (Trygg). I don't have four wheel drive but the chains are good enough where I can steer with the brakes. Amazing what a really good set of chains does for a tractor that won't go anywhere without them.

Need more info on that International tractor. My son in law has a 454 with a cab and bucket loader that we use gathering sap, mostly to pull my 1930 Model AA Ford when I get stuck. My dad had a 504 Hi Clear that he just lost in a fire when his barn burned to the ground in November. All 3 are/were good old tractors I still have fond memories of the Farmall Super H that my dad had when I was a kid. We like red tractors around here!

farmall h
01-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Maplesapper if you already have the 4x's you can run chains on all four tires. Once you have a packed trail they will go quite well. Probably would have $120 invested.

David in MI
01-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Need more info on that International tractor. My son in law has a 454 with a cab and bucket loader that we use gathering sap, mostly to pull my 1930 Model AA Ford when I get stuck. My dad had a 504 Hi Clear that he just lost in a fire when his barn burned to the ground in November. All 3 are/were good old tractors I still have fond memories of the Farmall Super H that my dad had when I was a kid. We like red tractors around here!

It's a 1981 Hydro 84 that I was given by my aunt a few years back. :cool: It has around 60 HP to the PTO and 45 at the drawbar. Seems like there was around 1000 hours on it when I got it and runs like a champ. My uncle was one of those guys who kept receipts for everything and so i also received the original sales receipt.

Our "barn" for the past few years has been one of those carports but with enclosed sides and a roll-up door and no power so no block heater. Despite that fact, even in the coldest weather it will start with no problem. I added beet juice to the wheels (18.4-28, I think) which has helped out immensely with almost everything I use it for. I was fortunate to find a loader for it in Ohio (2250) which makes it 400% more useful to me. I think the loader can lift around 2800 pounds but with 2-wheel drive it's sometimes a challenge when I need to dig into a pile. When using the loader it can get a little busy as the forward/reverse lever is just to the left of the steering wheel and the loader control is a bit to the right. It sure would be nice to have the fwd/rev in a foot pedal instead of the lever.

Inheriting this tractor carries a bit of nostalgia for me as I used to work on my uncle's dairy farm when I was young. Baling hay, putting the milkers on, feeding the calves, etc were mainly my duties. However, one summer I got to drive the tractor pulling the hay rake and my love for red tractors was born. I believe that particular tractor was an IH 454 or maybe one size up but basically the same body size and style as my Hydro 84. My Dad owns a JD and we have a Gator but I love red tractors. Tractors should just be red!!! :)

Almost forgot: The land I work has lots of wet areas and I've gotten stuck numerous times. When the neighbor charged me $100 to pull me out with his backhoe, I decided to look into a winch and found a 10,500 lb Mile Marker hydraulic winch that I have mounted to the front of the tractor. I had a steel plate made up with holes corresponding to those for the front weight plate. When I get stuck I simply run a pair of 10ft hydraulic lines to my remote at the rear of the tractor and winch myself out.

Russell Lampron
01-23-2014, 04:21 PM
It's a 1981 Hydro 84 that I was given by my aunt a few years back. :cool: It has around 60 HP to the PTO and 45 at the drawbar. Seems like there was around 1000 hours on it when I got it and runs like a champ. My uncle was one of those guys who kept receipts for everything and so i also received the original sales receipt.

Our "barn" for the past few years has been one of those carports but with enclosed sides and a roll-up door and no power so no block heater. Despite that fact, even in the coldest weather it will start with no problem. I added beet juice to the wheels (18.4-28, I think) which has helped out immensely with almost everything I use it for. I was fortunate to find a loader for it in Ohio (2250) which makes it 400% more useful to me. I think the loader can lift around 2800 pounds but with 2-wheel drive it's sometimes a challenge when I need to dig into a pile. When using the loader it can get a little busy as the forward/reverse lever is just to the left of the steering wheel and the loader control is a bit to the right. It sure would be nice to have the fwd/rev in a foot pedal instead of the lever.

Inheriting this tractor carries a bit of nostalgia for me as I used to work on my uncle's dairy farm when I was young. Baling hay, putting the milkers on, feeding the calves, etc were mainly my duties. However, one summer I got to drive the tractor pulling the hay rake and my love for red tractors was born. I believe that particular tractor was an IH 454 or maybe one size up but basically the same body size and style as my Hydro 84. My Dad owns a JD and we have a Gator but I love red tractors. Tractors should just be red!!! :)

Almost forgot: The land I work has lots of wet areas and I've gotten stuck numerous times. When the neighbor charged me $100 to pull me out with his backhoe, I decided to look into a winch and found a 10,500 lb Mile Marker hydraulic winch that I have mounted to the front of the tractor. I had a steel plate made up with holes corresponding to those for the front weight plate. When I get stuck I simply run a pair of 10ft hydraulic lines to my remote at the rear of the tractor and winch myself out.

Now that you mention a winch, my son in law picked up a 10 ton winch off of an old military deuce and a half. It is mounted to the 3 point hitch and runs off of the hydraulics from the remotes. It works good for getting unstuck and twitching logs.

saphead
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Back "in the day" we used to use a 1957 CJ5 with chains all the way around and either a 120 Gal. tank in the back or pulled a trailer once the snow went away. Beat the snot out of it for decades and even though it doesn't haul sap anymore it's still being used on the farm where i used to work...they don't make them like that anymore.

Mr Sugar Maple
02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
our sugar bush is on top of our hill,when the snow is deep we use a snowmobile with a large otter sled and tow bar. A 65 gallon tank with tie downs. when the snow melts down enough we switch to our atv four wheeler with chains on all four tires. and pull a atv cart with the tank inside with tie downs.