PDA

View Full Version : Off road

Kacey small scale maple
01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
If I have a good farm trailer with a slow moving vehicle triangle on it could i tow it a mile on dirt roads to get my sap with my truck?
Thanks,
Kacey

Paul VT
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Go for it. If it's a back road nobody should bother you. And I don't think you will be going very fast. If the police stop you just make sure you just happen to have a extra gallon of syrup in your truck. :)

markct
01-09-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't see what the problem would be, are you asking about the legality of it or the physical capacities etc? sap is heavy like water, 100 gallons is over 800lbs so it adds up and it sloshes a lot in a part full tank. It shouldn't be a legal issue as its an agricultural use, altho the laws on that vary from state to state. Here we tow hay wagons etc both with the truck and tractors and have never had a issue altho you should have insurance, which most farm policies cover that of course. Now that being said I wouldn't try going on the highway with such a rig, altho years ago a friend of mine purchased a corn chopper and towed it with a Chevelle a few miles up I-91 on the way home!

unc23win
01-09-2014, 10:30 PM
If I have a good farm trailer with a slow moving vehicle triangle on it could i tow it a mile on dirt roads to get my sap with my truck?
Thanks,
Kacey

In PA you can tow a farm agricultural vehicle with SMV triangle everywhere except highways I believe. Newer machinery comes with lights but I don't think it is law in PA yet. If hauling at night I would suggest tail lights brakes, turn signal, 4 ways just to be more visible. Pretty sure farm vehicles are still fine within 5 miles of home no matter what road (except highway).

Kacey small scale maple
01-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks I have to get it to my property first maybe some more frequently used roads not highways