PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 tubing advice needed.

psparr
01-07-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm going to try 3/16 this year. Any advice on securing the upper end? And any other advice you cacan give from experience would be great. Thanks.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
01-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I saw somewhere mentioned that the upper end was secured with 5/16 tubing and end of line hook on the top tree and then reduced to 3/16 after the first tap.

Ben

sugarsand
01-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Psparr, I started running 3/16 this year. I placed a tee that was secured by form wire around the tree, then wrapped aroud the tee. Use a piece of tubing slid on the wire to reduce damage to the tree. I use one end of the tee with three foot length of 3/16 to connect to a vacuum gauge to monitor for leaks. I dont know if its the best way but its what I came up with.

Sugarsand

bowhunter
01-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Here's link to the research done by Dr. Wilmot on 3/16 tubing. I believe he has some advice on running the tubing.
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/highvacuum.pdf

GeneralStark
01-08-2014, 07:37 AM
I would suggest using a CDL 5/16 end of line hook (just a hook with a barb), a piece of 5/16 tubing long enough to get around the tree, then a 5/16 plugged T (T with a plugged branch that connects to the 5/16 tubing to the hook) then another piece of 5/16 to a reducer to connect the 3/16 tubing. The hooked end then wraps around the tree and hooks back to the 5/16 tubing.

Your drop for the end tree comes off the plug T and if you would like a vac gauge installed you can T off the drop. With this setup, the loop around the tree is "dead" so if critters chew on it it won't cause leaks. It also makes the tubing easy to take down.

steve J
01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I used 5/16 tubing also I installed a T for a vaccum gauge on each upper end tree.

psparr
01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Well I put up a 400' run with 20 taps. A few mistakes made, but ended up successful.
First I made a 2 handed tool. I used 5/16 bolts for the pivot for the clamps. Lasted about 5 taps, then they bent. Remade it with 3/8 bolts and is holding up.

Second mistake. Used coupler nuts and cut them in half, everything went great until the sap started flowing and I noticed the leaks. The edges of the coupler nuts were cutting into the tubing, and about half had a very small slice through the tube. Note to self, grind down sharp edges.

Runs good to me. First experience with tubing. Will keep things updated when I can.

Gary R
01-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Good luck on your 3/16" tubing! I got 32 gal. per tap last year on mine.

psparr
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Good luck on your 3/16" tubing! I got 32 gal. per tap last year on mine.

I tap early because I can only get there on weekends to boil. I need to keep the sap cold, and the only way to do that is to tap early.
Right now I have 2 55gal barrels connected in series. I hope I have the problem of having to buy a tote. But we'll see.

I have another run to set up yet. I might hold off another week on that one.