PDA

View Full Version : SS Kegs

cur dog
01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Does anyone here store their syrup in SS "beer kegs"? New ones of course.
My question is, What do you use for a valve or cap?

millscrest
01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I have used some pepsi kegs before after REALLY cleaning them up. They have a great cap that seals up also. I was able to get some awhile ago and gave a bunch away and I am kicking myself for that. You can check them out on ebay. They are called corny kegs. Hope this helps.

steam maker
01-07-2014, 07:44 PM
I took the keg and removed the "guts" then went on ebay and found 2 inch ss ferrel fittings used on milk lines , 2 inch caps and 2 inch dairy clamps with the wing nut , also ordered the gaskets too. Think when i was done i had 20 bucks apiece in parts . Then took keg and ferrel to local welder guy had him cut off the weird keg fitting and weld on ferrel ! Works good for me ! Also u could just use a 2 inch rubber freeze plug from plumbing supply store ! Thats way cheaper but i like the peice of mind with the dairy fittings! I also layed a good ziplock bag over hole first then pushed in plumbers plug when i do it that way, bags never melted and it kept the rubber smell from entering kegs. Hope that wasnt to confusing of a explaination ! Either way will work depends on ur preference

lpakiz
01-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Steam maker,
Do you know that if you heat the barrel neck and freeze the ferrel, the ferrel will drop into the cut-off neck of the barrel?
5 seconds later, and you can lift the barrel by the ferrel.
I cut off the neck, grind and clean up the cut, then chamfer the inside to help it get lined up. Once in a while, it gets stuck 1/2 way in. You're SOL in that case. I am going to try to make a device with a 3/4 inch fine thread bolt and toggle and top cap, so I can "pull" stubborn into place.
Then a friend TIG-welds around the inside to make it completely sanitary. I filled one barrel in April and in November, it was sealed tight, I had to lift the plug out with two big screwdrivers.

markct
01-07-2014, 08:19 PM

I use stainless kegs to store most of my syrup, primarily half barrel but some quarter and evern 1/6 as well. I have gotten them from many places, some were from package stores that had taken back damaged ones then the distributor refused to give them back the deposit on them, so was able to purchase them for the cost of the deposit. Some from the trash,i am a mechanic in the garbage industry so see a fair amount of trash! others from ebay etc, some new some used. As for caps I use tri clove caps and clamps but with just an oring as the regular gasket is too thick to use on the keg neck, the cheapest place to buy them is brewershardware.com. On kegs that had damaged necks which many of mine do, I cut the neck out with a holesaw and then welded in a stainless pipe lock nut which has straight threads and fits a plug like you would use in a barrel. Bascoms has new kegs with the threaded collar already in them for 183 bucks too. As for using only new kegs you say, not sure why, they are stainlessso after steam cleaning them have zero beer smell etc even ones that were pretty skunky smelling.

cur dog
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Gemacher has new half kegs for $130. I like the smaller size, because it would take forever to fill the larger drums and barrels.

tuckermtn
01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
I have 15 - 20 or so kegs (along with a mix of 33s and 40s) and plan on buying another 15 or so for this year. I would do all kegs if i could. only one of my kegs is new, the rest used - many from a closed down Hooters in central NY. Hot water cleaning get rid of stale beer smell and taste. take the guts out, cut off and weld fitting on it to fit a std. 2" tri-sure bung or convert to dairy cap like mentioned above. the size works well for me as I typically rejug for retail in 15 gal. increments and they are easier for the folks helping out to move around. I also love the domed top so that you can drain them out completely when tipped up-side-down.

brookledge
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
I have been using kegs for close to 15 yrs if not longer. I have always used the expansion plugs and recently have found the best are plastic ones with wing nuts . Very simple to use. The key for me is using a sandwich size bag to put over the hole before putting the plug in. This way you are not having any contact with the non food grade rubber. I know using the tri plug is good also but with the amount that I have I don't want to spend the additional money to retrofit.
I may be looking to get rid of some since I'm filling 3 or so per day and I plan on going to barrels in the near future
Keith.

cur dog
01-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks to everyone who had input. I picked up 6 new kegs from Geemacher Friday afternoon. They look great, the price seemed good, and the company was really easy to deal with. I'll look at a couple of different ideas you guys had and see what will work best for me. Thanks again.

saphead
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Kieth,

Tried to send a private but your mailbox is full.
Craig

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-28-2014, 03:44 AM
I have been using kegs for close to 15 yrs if not longer. I have always used the expansion plugs and recently have found the best are plastic ones with wing nuts . Very simple to use. The key for me is using a sandwich size bag to put over the hole before putting the plug in. This way you are not having any contact with the non food grade rubber. I know using the tri plug is good also but with the amount that I have I don't want to spend the additional money to retrofit.
I may be looking to get rid of some since I'm filling 3 or so per day and I plan on going to barrels in the near future
Keith.
I would be interested and buying a few from you when you get to that point.