PDA

View Full Version : Grates

PerryFamily
01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I have a 2x6 Grimm arch that is in need of a few new grates.

I noticed the Sunrise Metal Shop evaporators have a single large grate. Kinda looks like 1" +/- stock running the length of the arch with 3 running the opposite direction and welded to the others.

My question is would standard steel work for this? If so, I think I could build this very reasonable.

I do have a forced draft.

Thanks in advance

wiam
01-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I believe forced draft keeps grates cooler. I have also seen a piece of grader cutting edge with extra holes cut in it with a torch work pretty well

farmall h
01-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Regular steel bends and warps under the heat. Most grates are cast iron. Your Dominion & Grimm distributor should have them in stock. I would recommend the one piece unit as they last longer and distribute the air more evenly.

Bucket Head
01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Farmall and William are right. Regular steel with no forced draft will be a bent and twisted mess before the season is over. And I have seen steel grates that looked fine with an ample amount of draft air pumped under them.

I have a cast iron storm grate in my arch. The holes in it allowed too many coals to drop down through. So years ago I welded up a cheap grid out of 1/2" rebar rod and layed it over the grate to keep the coals in the firebox. No forced air that first year and my grid was a mess- I chucked it after the season. Second year I made another one and found a squirrel cage blower at a flea market. Now I get three or four years out of a grid because the air keeps it from warping immediately.

And the square stock or heavy angle iron that most folks use for a homemade grates is thicker and of better steel than the cheap rebar. A heavy steel grate should last quite a while.

Steve

PerryFamily
01-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Wiam - good point with air cooling the grates. Also I can get grader cutting edges from my work. Would be similar to the forced draft grates.

bairdswift
01-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Bascom has a pile of used grates you can pick from. All shapes and sizes. Could cut down something that's to big to.make fit