PDA

View Full Version : There is a level on your I-phone

nace
01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Go to your uilties app and open the compass. Swipe the screen to te left to open the level. Face the phone to the horizon for line level, face to the floor for pan level.

MapleLady
01-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Just tried it. That's going to be handy!

maple flats
01-07-2014, 05:36 AM
I use one called "Bubble". It can be calibrated too, for accuracy. If I remember, it was a free download.

GeneralStark
01-07-2014, 07:44 AM
There is a clinometer app that has been mentioned here as well.

heus
01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
I downloaded Site Level Virtual Laser Level for free. It will allow me to set up my main lines much easier than a regular site level. It even shows the % of grade.

Jmsmithy
01-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Hey Dave

Do you find that app (or any of them) accurate enough for running lines ?

John

nace
01-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Hey john, it's probably better than my eyeball'in them:-)

BridgewaterHill
01-08-2014, 07:59 AM
For a few bucks there is a great iPhone app called Theodolite from Hunter Industries that can measure Elevation in degrees or %, has an Optical Rangefinder to measure distance, and A-B Elevation to measure the height of trees, houses, etc. Worth checking out.

markct
01-08-2014, 08:34 AM
For less than the cost of an iphone i bought a dewalt laser transit with detector from amazon. It works great going thru the woods with the grade stick to mark out levels and is pretty darn accurate. I bought it when buikding my house and had to run 550 ft of septic line at 1 percent grade but now it gets used for sap lines

palmer4th
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Can you make calls on that lazer mike? Or play angry birds?

lpakiz
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I sure wouldn't want a laser level that I couldn't play Angry Birds on!:lol:
Seriously, can you get readings on that unit thru trees, brush, etc?
What is the practical range of your Dewalt unit in the woods?

maple flats
01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Hey Dave

Do you find that app (or any of them) accurate enough for running lines ?

John
John, I do, after calibrating. Most often it is not needed, but when slopes get rather flat I use it.

Clarkfield Farms
01-10-2014, 08:01 AM
markct, I don't think you should use it for maple lines after it's been used for septic work. LOL! :D

Where are the app's for mapping where the old tap holes are on each tree? Or maybe similar to a stud finder for finding the old holes? hah, but who knows, maybe they have them... in 1970, if you told someone that someday they'd be using their "PHONE" as a level, it would've seemed ridiculous to them.

markct
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I sure wouldn't want a laser level that I couldn't play Angry Birds on!:lol:
Seriously, can you get readings on that unit thru trees, brush, etc?
What is the practical range of your Dewalt unit in the woods? It has a range of about 600 to 700ft. Basicly it spins and shoots a laser beam in a level plane and then you have a little detector that beeps when it sees the beam cause in daylight you cant see it more than a few ft. It obviously wont work with a tree in the way but usualy you can find a shot thru the woods. I especialy like it when planning lines as you can quickly find out the high and low places to figure out the best way to go.

Russell Lampron
01-11-2014, 07:24 PM
My android phone was $49 and the bubble level app was free. It has come in handy when working on my sugar house addition.

maple flats
01-12-2014, 06:43 AM
I own 2 laser levels, one is automatic self leveling (good to 800' with detector), the other is manual leveling (good to 600' with detector). The automatic can not project a slope, it is always level (to within 1/8" per 100' [or +/- 1/16"], the manual (good to within 1/4" per 100') one can project a slope up to 1/2" per 10'. However these would be too cumbersome to use in the woods. I either use the bubble app on my Android or the old site levels sold by the maple companies. (However, I bought mine online for about 1/2 the price from Ace Hardware.)