PDA

View Full Version : Fusion your pipe!

IPL Technical Support
01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Hello folks,

This year at Verona, Versaprofiles and CDL were presenting this new video showing how to install VERSAPIPE FUSION + ELECTRO FUSION couplings in a sugarbush. The system consists of welding plastic. NO GLUE, NO MECHANICAL JOINTS. NO LEAKS.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibVRUILNPw&noredirect=1

GeneralStark
01-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I would be curious to see what the final product looks like once the "manifold" is connected to the dry line. The setup I saw at CDL's open house last year involved tapping the wet dry lines and using stainless steel thread barbs to connect the whip manifold and the lateral main line.

I assume it is only the large diameter pipe (3") that comes in shorter sections and must be fused? Is this really cheaper and superior to using housed PVC glue pipe?

IPL Technical Support
01-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Hello GeneralStark,

Until we gather all HDPE fittings, we are still using stainless steel for some connections.

We offer coils of VERSAPIPE FUSION from 1-1/4 to 4". 500-footers from 1-1/4" to 3" and 300-footers for the 4". We have also TITAN REELS for diameters from 1-1/4" to 2". You can put up to 2,500FT on these. This is the first big difference between PVC pipe that you must buy in 50-FT straights. You are reducing considerably the number of joints with HDPE.

The second difference is the FUSION vs GLUE. PVC Pipes must be glued together which is a system that won't last. In 5-6 years, your joints will start to leak and your pipe to crack. PVC is just not made to last while being attacked by UV rays. The VERSAPIPE FUSION has a 10-year warranty and like you are used to see with 5/16 tubing it will certainly last a lot longer.

To put the final nail in the PVC coffin, VERSAPIPE FUSION is cheaper! Not only the pipe itself can be buy at lower price, but the BUTT FUSION does not require fittings at all! You rent the FUSION equipment or you call a CDL installer and you are done. No need to say that your system will be leak-proof and that you won't need to repair anything for the next years.

The only advice I will give is that HDPE has a coefficient of thermal expansion higher than PVC. It means that HDPE Pipe will contract more in Winter and strech more in Summer than PVC. That's why you must keep a buffer (S-shaped) at the end of your lines to give it room to dance. Otherwise, it is strong enough to bring to whole shack with it when it shrinks. :)

Hope this helps!

I would be curious to see what the final product looks like once the "manifold" is connected to the dry line. The setup I saw at CDL's open house last year involved tapping the wet dry lines and using stainless steel thread barbs to connect the whip manifold and the lateral main line.

I assume it is only the large diameter pipe (3") that comes in shorter sections and must be fused? Is this really cheaper and superior to using housed PVC glue pipe?

grumpy
01-07-2014, 05:34 PM
be mindful, electro-fusions and butt fusions can still fail (leak), there is a lot of factors that go into making a proper fusion. I would agree its an upgrade over pvc and glue though

maplehillbros7179
01-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Looks cool but I think it still needs work fittings are just fine for now

99mtk35
01-25-2022, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have any updated information on this? A quick web search doesn't show anything. It seems like it could be promising but may have fizzled out. Thanks!

collinsmapleman2012
01-25-2022, 07:31 AM
CDL still makes electrofusion fittings, pipe, etc. its right in the mainline section of their catalog. also, the spin seals they have are a type of fusion, although the friction welding is different than the electrofusion. ive been told that the fused pipe works excellent, but i have no personal experience with it.

DrTimPerkins
01-25-2022, 12:52 PM
Same as a lot of things. It is great as long as it is installed correctly. Not installed correctly is an altogether different matter. We have a few hundred feet of 3" pipe installed as an air line...professionally installed. Never had a problem with it.