PDA

View Full Version : S.S. divided pan repair ?

Too Tall
01-06-2014, 02:46 PM
I recently picked up a stainless steel divided pan. I was cleaning it today and noticed the welds are pretty shotty. Water was able to travel under the dividers and flow from section to section. Is this a huge issue? It's almost like they spot-welded it every quarter inch or so rather than laying down a consistent bead.

There is one section where there is an eraser-size hole in the divider. Is that a huge issue?

Thanks for any advice.

Pibster
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
My first divided pan was only spot welded and worked fine. After a few boils, the nitre helped seal the seam.

maple flats
01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
That seems to be how they do it. When I commented they said if the weld was continuous they will get a ripple. Pibster is right, sugar sand will seal it as long as the fit is fairly tight, you can't have a real gap, they should touch.

Sugarmaker
01-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Guess I am old school? I feel these joints should be welded tight or somehow solid. Not just spot welded. I would not rely on sugar sand filling a joint or a pencil size hole. Mixing of syrup between partitions is going to slow the production of syrup. I think these are mfg shortcuts that are not acceptable. Looking forward to comments from others or pan builders. Just my 2 cents.
Regards,
Chris

Too Tall
01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Is soldering the stainless an option? I think they make a "food grade" solder. Not sure though.

shane hickey
01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes there is make sure theres no.lead.in.it

Too Tall
01-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I just watched a youtube vid of some SSF-6 stainless steel solder that is cadmium free and food-grade. That looks like the way to go. I can't imagine the base of my dividers getting much over 219* due to the fact that there will be liquid in the pan. That should mean that as long as the melting temp of the solder is 300*+ I should be fine...right?

shane hickey
01-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Yes usually that happens when the operator let's the boiler run dry

Sugarmaker
01-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Solder is a good option if the pans have not been used. Very difficult to get that joint clean after syrup has been made in the pan. Not impossible just harder.
Regards,
Chris