PDA

View Full Version : 1 inch sap pump question

softmaple
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
i am looking at a 1 inch gas sap pump to pump from a nook of woods about 300 feet on flat land from the nearest access spot and about 30 feet in a gully. would a 1 inch sap pump work for this or what?

markonsite
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I use a 1"pump to transfer from my gathering tank to my holding tank. Most of the 1" pumps are rated for 100' in elevation for a max pumping height, and 1,500 - 1,900gpm. It would depend on how many gallons you are pumping. I would say if you are pumping more than 200 gallons at a time it would be too small a pump, and you would want to increase to a 1 1/2" - 2" pump.

Mark

softmaple
11-08-2006, 07:37 AM
it might be around 150 gallons every day or so. it only has to push it up about 30 feet then about 300 feet on flat land

markonsite
11-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I made a mistake, typing too fast! A 1" pump will discharge 1,500 - 1,900 G.P. HOUR, not minute. The average per minute is 30gpm, for a 1" pump. There is no way you will get 30gpm after pumping 30' in elevation and 300' of run to the discharge. Friction loss alone will almost cut the rate in half. Your pump will work extremely hard and you will be standing around waiting for a long time. I would definately increase to a 1 1/2 - 2" size pump with a 2 1/2 - 3hp engine. I have found these on the web for $250 - $350. The average weight is 40 - 50lbs. Hope this helps.

Mark

Mike
11-08-2006, 09:27 AM
You could rent a pump for a half day and try it........If the place sells them new ask if you can use a 1" and a 2" pump for a few hours...If your going to buy one from the place I would think they would let you do this.....Worth a try................

softmaple
11-08-2006, 12:01 PM
harbor freight sells a 2 inch pump wit a 5hp for 175$ its probably a piece of crap but it would work? would there be a problem with way its made could it taint the sap with something ?

mountainvan
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I have the 1" honda water pump from northern tool,wx10 I believe, its a good pump that should work for your application.

super sappy
11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I bought a horbor freight pump last year to transfer from my gathering tank to my holding tanks. like a fool I put it in and never tested it .When I had sap to pump the thing did not work at all, It was a complete piece of junk. I still have it I dont know why but I never sent it back.Super Sappy

maplehound
11-08-2006, 07:01 PM
It has been my experience that it you are pumping over a distance and up hill, it is best to pump straight up if possible then have a graduall down slope to the end. It makes for less resistance and less work for the pump. In my woods doing this cut my pumping time in half. Also I had a 2" Pacer pump that I was using to pump sap up a hill over a long distance, Had a Ice block in the line and when I shut the pump down it blew the housing apart and soaked me in the proccess. I was told it was thermal shock failure caused by the weight and the pressure built up in the line and when the pump shut off it all settled against the housing and it burst. The manufacturer doesn't warent against it either.
Ron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
I have a 1" Tanaka pump and it works great. I think Mike still has a 1" Tanaka pump for sale, you could PM him. I pump up hill with it without any problem. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Hard to be a Stihl or a Tanaka. :)

Mike
11-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I still have it if theres any interest....

maple flats
11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
I use a 1" pump from TSC, name on pump is mustang. It is rated to pump up to 98' push or 26' lift. Pushing up 30' should be little problem but the flow would drop from 30 gpm to maybe 15 gpm without figuring line friction. I would suggest using 1.25", pump up nearly straight the 30' and then the level. If not able to keep perfectly level to drain, add a few feet to the 30 and then support it with a uniform drop to the end, then when done the 300' would drain to the destination and you would need to uncouple at the pump to drain the pipe and the pump to prevent freezing.

brookledge
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Alot may come down to how long you have or want to wait while the pumping is going on. In most cases the difference between 1" and 1.5" is the gpm. I have a tanaka 1.5" and a honda WX15 (1.5")
I really like the honda because it is 4 stroke and does not stink as much as the tanaka burning mixed gas.
Also my honda uses far less gas than the tanaka
Keith

Pete33Vt
11-10-2006, 03:44 AM
For most of my pumping I use a sump pump, I have acsess to electricty right to my tanks> I used 1 1/4" black pvc to transfer sap to holding tank at sugar house. Its about 200 yds away and a lift of about 30-35 feet. Takes a little while but gives me time to walk around and check my lines.
Has anyone run a sump pump off an inverter, thats hooked to a truck battery? If so how big of an inverter? Looking into using it to collect my roadside tanks.
Pete

Russell Lampron
11-10-2006, 05:39 AM
Pete you may want to check into a bilge pump for 12v use. They are pretty cheap on ebay and you can wire it so that it plugs into a cigarette lighter. I use one with my 4 wheeler to gather sap. It works great and is easy to store and operate.

Russ

super sappy
11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Russel - What make of pump are you using? Do these type of pump have to be submerged into the sap container in order to pump or can they be used with a suction hose? I need to hook up something to empty 15 gallon barrels at roadside.I have a Mustang 2 stroke pump but I think that my wife will have problems with it if she has to collect with the kids.This bilge pump seems easyier to operate.-Sappy

Fred Henderson
11-10-2006, 06:20 AM
SS, get yourself a 12 volt bildge pump such as one used in a boat. I have had one for 6 years now and you would not beleive how many gallons of sap it has pumped.

royalmaple
11-10-2006, 06:45 AM
I have been using a bildge pump I got at wally world, works great.

You may want to get a deep cycle battery, or use one from your boat or something. So you can drain it down, then recharge. Even though the bildge pumps don't draw much.

I don't think a bildge pump will pull water/sap, pretty sure they have to be submerged in order to prime and pump.

I also take this with me with the battery mounted to my 4wheeler, so I can collect in the woods. But with vacuum this year, hopefully won't need to.

I think mine is 700 gph?

Fred Henderson
11-10-2006, 09:29 AM
My is 1500 GPH and you do have to submerge them in the sap. When I was doing road side trees I just ran off my truck battery.

Russell Lampron
11-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Super Sappy,

The make of my bilge pump is Seachoise. It is rated for 1500gph. I think I paid about $25 for it on ebay. I bought the 1-1/8" hose at Home Depot and it cost almost as much as the pump. All together it was less than $50. My 4 wheeler has a lighter socket on it so I made up a cord using an old cel phone charger lead. The pump is submersible. My wife puts it into the tank to be pumped out and plugs the pump into the 4 wheeler and my 6 year old grandson holds the hose in the tank on the 4 wheeler.

My operation covers many generations with my parents, my wife, my children and grandchildren all pitching in to help in the sugaring operation.

Russ

NH Maplemaker
11-12-2006, 10:13 AM
SS, if you are useing the bilge pump in your pick and it has a trailer plug in at the bumper, just wire it so it can be pluged in there :wink: Thats how I do ours. Jim L.

DougM
11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Super Sappy,
I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but the pics might give you an idea.

http://www.mapleandhoney.com/Evaporator%20Restoration.htm

Scroll to the right for the pump pictures.
[/img]

super sappy
11-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys.I will stop at a boat supply store in saratoga on sat and see what I can come up with. My phone connection is so slow that I cannot even get onto E-Bay. When the town re did my road last week they dug up my phone line as well .Super sappy