PDA

View Full Version : covers for stock tanks

The Sappy Steamer
11-07-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm looking for inexpensive ideas to cover galvanized stock tanks and dairy bulk tanks. I made a couple out of some stainless I salvaged and they work fine, but I have better uses for the remaining material. I have seen people cover them with plastic, but we have some serious snowfalls where we are and I think that could cause problems. I have some light guage aluminum I thought about putting on a frame. If I put the wood frame on the inside, would that create a bacterial environment, or would I be better off building it so the metal is on the inside? Or is it a "non-issue"?

maplehound
11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I use alot of the dairy tanks and just use the lids that came with them. I don't believe yu will need any more than that on them. I use to use the stock tanks as well but no longer since they have alot of lead in them.
Ron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
29 gauge sheets of galvanized roofing works great. :)

brookledge
11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Just like Brandon said use coregated metal roofing. If you know a contractor you may be able to get scraps or pieces for next to nothing.
Keith

The Sappy Steamer
11-08-2006, 04:41 AM
I had thought about metal roofing my brother was getting me for free,but it was aluminum and is too narrow to cover the tanks in one piece. Now that you mention it, the steel is wider than the stuff I have. Thanks for the tip guys :)
Dan

mountainvan
11-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I use the enameled steel from home depot for my 3x8 stock tanks. I screwed 1x3s to the metal every 2ft to stiffen them up. Otherwise they'll collapes in the tank with a bit of snow. When it's cold green side up to thaw ice in the tank, warm white side up to reflect the suns heat and a 3/4", from the 1x3s, space for ventilation of the tank, also helps keep sap cool!

archangel_cpj
11-09-2006, 07:42 PM
my dad owns a fiber glass company and he built some 3 foot by 6 foot ceiling tiles for a plant once works great and no bracing.