PDA

View Full Version : Power to vacuum

trevorhallam
01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
I just got a guzzler sap sucker and I have one problem. Getting power to it its at the lower end of my land and about 250 ft from my house the closest power source. I was thinking a generator but I'm in school during the day and would be worried of it stoping. I was also thinking extension cord but was worried about voltage loss and affecting the pump. Im open to suggestions or tips on what to do.

Thanks,
Trevor

maple flats
01-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Trevor,
What are the electrical specs? I need voltage, amps (or watts). From that along with the 250' distance I can tell you what gauge power line you need to run it. I doubt it will be a big issue because those pumps are rather small. At 250' it won't likely be an extension cord, but it might be similar type wire. Each time you add another cord, the voltage drops even with a heavy enough cord because the plug parts don't conduct at 100% efficiency. I can make proper recommendations with the full details.

madmapler
01-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I looked at one of Glenn Goodriches last year and I think it was only 1/10hp.

trevorhallam
01-04-2014, 06:12 PM
heres a link to the spec sheet http://www.thebosworthco.com/specpages/psng-ge-0401d.pdf I think it said 1.6amps? Im not to sure I know it uses just 110v power connection

unc23win
01-04-2014, 07:22 PM
You could run some heavy wire from the breaker box in your house or garage. Depending on the amps need ed. You can google for sites that calculate voltage drop basses on distance and wire used. I run my sugarhouse that way 470 feet and only loose 7% way way cheaper than putting in a new service. I just went through the process yesterday with electric rep. You can get wire at lowes lots of gauges by the foot.

Jared
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

maple flats
01-05-2014, 09:24 AM
My voltage drop calculator says that if you run 1.6A on 120V for 250' using 14 ga wire, you'll lose 2.09%. Very acceptable. However, rather than using 250' worth of power cords, I suggest you get a 250' length of 14/2 WG (14 ga, 2 conductor with ground), at your power source run it into a box or add a male plug and plug it in. On the far end run the wire into a water tight box, use a "in use water tight cover" and mount it up off the ground. Then plug the pump into that. For the wire you can use UF, or SJ or likely a few others. Romex could also be used but it would not last as many years due to sun and physical damage potential. If you think you may need a bigger pump in the next few years you might want to go with 12 ga now which could handle as much as 6 amps at that distance and still only lose less than 6 volts. If your voltage at the source is less than 120, (use a multi meter) let me know, I'll run those numbers too.
Good luck. It looks like the electric is a far better (and cheaper) option. Any time you can use grid power rather than generate your own with gas/diesel/ or propane you are $ ahead. The other option is to get $35,000 worth of solar with battery back up (something like mine) and you could generate your own for maybe 50 yrs to come.

unclebuck
01-24-2014, 07:37 PM
I purchased a guzzler pump from the bosworth company in providence RI It is over 500 feet of 14/2 wire on a 15 amp breaker.
Ran this on 100 5/16 taps with 3/4 mainline pulled 21 inchs of vacume Love this pump will be buying another one next year for another stand

Mark-NH
01-25-2014, 08:24 AM
I ran a 2 diaphram sap puller off 2 100' extension cords for 5 years without any issues.