PDA

View Full Version : roof jack to metal roofing

K.I. Joe
01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Ok guys I need some help, how do you install the roof jack for your smoke stack when you have metal roofing. Only way I can think of is building a raised platform above the ridges of the metal roofing. Pics would be helpful. thanks

unc23win
01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
It probably depends on how the roof jack is made and how thick the metal is, but I just pounded mine down around the ridges (mine was thinner Amish made and WAY cheaper $85 from A&A with storm collar) then I put two boards under it between the roof an truss and screwed it down. You can get one made to fit the ridges. I did also use caulk I used a towel to clean and dry the metal. When the weather is nicer I am going put a partial sheet down from the ridge cap over the roof jack and cut so it goes just past the stack so the water is carried below the stack. Although I put mine up on Sunday in the rain as I already had the hole cut and it does not leak.

PerryFamily
01-03-2014, 02:21 AM
I actually used a galvanized trash barrel upside down. I think NHsugarmaker in Cornish nh has good pictures. I made it fit pretty tight and used plenty of high temp silicone from Webb's. It's looks OK but luckily is on the backside. Good luck.

adk1
01-03-2014, 06:12 AM
I measured my pitch then went to the local hardware store and bought the roof jack that matched the pitch. It has a flashing on it already. I have 7" stack. I got the appropriate jack. The stack slid right thru nice and tight. No leaks whatsoever.then just screwed down the jack onto my metal roof using roofing screws with the gasket on them.

Flat Rock Farmers
01-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Joe,

Our roof jack is matched to the pitch of our roof so it's offset from the peak. What I did was set it so the lip of the jack was tucked under the roof cap.
I was able to set it on with a screw or two and then took a marker and traced as best as I could the inside diameter of the cylinder part of the jack.
I then took the roof jack off. That left a kind of oval looking pattern on the roof where I needed to cut. I drilled a hole so it was tangent to the traced line.
This was made big enough to get a metal cutting blade of a saws all in to cut the traced hole out. After that I placed the roof jack back where it was, making
sure the hole was cut to match pretty closely to the diameter of the roof jack.

Once satisfied with the match, I screwed the jack in place with rubber washered roofing screws. The jack rests with the lip under the roof cap, and the bottom surface
of the jack rests on the ridges of the steel roofing. Make sure to screw thru the lip of the jack into the ridges wherever they meet. I did not seal anything with
silicone and the jack never leaks.

Also, when I ordered the roof jack I made sure to get the diameter an inch larger than the diameter of my stack pipe. My stack is 10" so therefore I ordered the
roof jack 11". The jack also came with a collar that attaches around the stack. Once you have that attached tightly around the stack and slid down tightly to the
top of your roof jack, the stack should stay centered to the roof jack. Therefore I've got 1/2" clearance around my stack thru the roof jack.

I hope this helps you some and not confuses you further!

Good Luck,
Jay

K.I. Joe
01-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks to all, I think I am going to use it the way you installed yours Jay, thanks for taking the time to explain it.