PDA

View Full Version : Are clad stock pots safe to use on open fire?

TooManyIrons...
01-02-2014, 04:57 PM
I want to use stainless steel stock pots for final finishing of my syrup, and I have a question that I am hoping folks here could answer.

Regarding induction-ready laminated or clad stainless steel stock pots consisting of an aluminum core sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel.

-and-

Regarding stock pots that have a carbon steel core sandwiched by two layers of stainless steel.

Question: Are those units safe to use on an open fire - will they hold up structurally as opposed to using basic 100% stainless steel stock pots?

Disappointingly, manufacturers have been most unhelpful by not responding to my queries.

Thanks for any assistance, it is much appreciated.

Bucket Head
01-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm not certain about the laminated pots. Two different metals with different expansion capabilities when exposed to high heat? I would feel better using all stainless. A buddy used an all stainless stock pot and it worked fine.

A pot "failure" is the last thing you need while trying to make some syrup!

Steve

OldManMaple
01-03-2014, 05:48 AM
A gas turkey frier would be an open flame wouldn't it? The gas burners on my kitchen range are open flame also. I think you are using these pots for their intended purpose

RileySugarbush
01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
They will be fine. Like any other pot, if you don't let them go dry the temperature of the pot is limited to close to the boiling point of the liquid within.

You may get in trouble for getting them dirty, but that is about it.

Where are you in MN?

Birddog
01-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I started with copper clad, then I picked up a larger SS stock pot then I went to SS steam tray pans. They all worked fine but the steam tray pans worked the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TooManyIrons...
01-03-2014, 12:37 PM
"Two different metals with different expansion capabilities when exposed to high heat?" - That is exactly my concern, causing some kind of separation of materials.

"A pot "failure" is the last thing you need while trying to make some syrup!" - Agreed!

"A gas turkey frier would be an open flame wouldn't it? The gas burners on my kitchen range are open flame also." - Well, yes, but the coals in that pit fire gets things very hot. Last year I shielded everything but left the bottom of the stock pots exposed on the fire grate, which gets red hot. Why such a hot fire during final finishing? In my (limited) experience a very hot fire makes great syrup (but you REALLY need to keep a constant, continuous eye on it).

For the record, my goal is to do the entire process using wood fuel, of which I have in abundance. I do not want to pay so much as a single penny for electricity (electric range) or LP for any part of the process. It blows people away around here when they ask how much I spent on propane and I can honestly tell them "zero", while they spent hundreds of dollars - you can actually see their shoulders droop.

"Like any other pot, if you don't let them go dry the temperature of the pot is limited to close to the boiling point of the liquid within." - Ya know, that really makes sense and is something I have not considered.

"Where are you in MN?" - southwestern Minnesota, east of Redwood Falls. Have been helping another syruping operation for years and finally decided to make some of my own last year. Made 3 gallons of wonderful stuff - people really liked it and have already been pestering me about whether I am making more again this year. This year I am in the process of expanding with expectations of yielding 3-4 gallons of syrup per 18 hour day for a total yield goal of 20-25 gallons. I will be turning half of it into sugar - I learned how to do that last year as well. Everything will be given away as gifts to folks who I know will appreciate the effort that goes into making it. :-) I work alone and have been doing everything myself, and have zero cash invested so far in my little operation but that will change when I purchase the larger capacity stock pots.

"They all worked fine but the steam tray pans worked the best." - I am using a fifty gallon capacity evaporator pan with a homebuilt firebox this year for the bulk of the evaporating. I want to keep my investment costs low so I want to stick with using stock pots for final finishing on the fire - that part of my little system worked pretty well last year.

Thanks for everyone's input. I know folks in these communities often are not too keen on newbs joining and then immediately posting. I have been lurking around these forums for years and finally figured I better join. I have learned a lot here, lots of knowledgeable people.

RileySugarbush
01-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Good plan on the all wood fuel. Propane or LP will really get expensive!

And I don't think you will have any problems being a newb on this site or on sugarbush.info. Both are filled with folks that welcome everyone and their questions!

If you are driving to the twin cities sometime, stop by and say hi. We are right off 212 in Eden Prairie.

John